Re: [linux-dell-laptops] sound server/streaming

  • Mike Hicks
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
      "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@...> wrote:

      > does anyone know of a program that will turn your computer into a streaming
      > audio server? i want to be able to run the line out from my bass cabinet
      > into the line in of my sound card and then broadcast that sound so my
      > friends can hear it.

      Heh, well I did the cop-out (since I need something that can decode both
      MP3 and Ogg) and started to use esd over the network. I have a box
      connected to the stereo, where I run `esd -public -tcp -nobeeps', and then
      I set up XMMS on my laptop to point to that system. Decoded 44.1kHz audio
      is then fed over the network.

      Even RealAudio will work over the network, if you set the ESPEAKER
      environment variable before running it and have the player set up to use
      esd.

      There are probably a few other network audio daemons that you could use,
      esd was just the one I was most familiar with.

      --
      _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ Floggings will continue
      / \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__ until morale improves.