Re: Swap config !

  • wecurm
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
      > Thank you Mark for this response !
      > But you see I'm trying to create a dadabase with Oracle 8i.
      > When I run "dbassist" to create one, I see the use of my memory
      > (512M) growing up. At last It use all of my memory and the program
      > not have enough memory to terminate. So It's running, running and
      > ruuuunnninng, bat none of my swap memory is used. Is it normal ???
      > I don't think so.
      > - first, why don't the program use the sawp memory to run
      > easily ?
      > - Next, What can I do to perform this bug ???

      Sorry abou tht elate response, I have been buys lately and so haven't
      checked the list...
      But first of a program doesn't require memory to terminate.
      Second you don't want any of your swap used unless the system has to
      do it. The reason for this is that swap is simply an extension to
      your memory. To be put simply, say your machine has 512M of Ram, and
      1Gig woth of swap space, to applications this machine effectively
      appears as having 1.5Gig of Ram.
      However this increased memory comes at a price.
      Disk is inherently slower than memory, I think it takes somewhere
      around 20+ cycles to fetch data from RAM, (CPU sycles this is), and
      100+ to fetch data from disk.
      The kernel will select portions of memory to page out to swap when
      memory starts getting low, however it wants to pick the least used
      pages, as if something uses that memory, it has to load it in from
      disk first, which takes time.
      So you don't want to be using swap unless you machine has to.
      Now, as for Oracle using 512M...
      A process can malloc() (or allocate memory), for whatever size it
      likes, even ridiculous ammounts like 2Gig or so. However Linux wil
      ussually (you can change this behaviour though), physically allocate
      the memory only when it's used.

      I suspect you have slightly different problems...
      If you are installing Oracle on Redhat 7.2, etc you have to have some
      environemtn variables set for glibc compatability.
      If you could give the error that Oracle returns when it dies,
      crashes, etc that would help.
      The other place I would suggest you look, would be on oracle's
      Metalink. They may have some info on this problem. What specs does
      your machine have as well? Distribution?
      I also haven't used dbassist before with Oracle, we tend to create
      ours by hand with svrmgrl.