Re: [linux-dell-laptops] hda: lost interrupt & random crashes - but not APM-related (I think)

  • Justin Ellison
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2002
      If you're getting a "primary hard disk not found error", that message is
      coming from the BIOS. It doesn't depend on what O/S or bootloader
      you're using, because it can't even find the hard drive. In my hardware
      experience, this indicates that either your HD is about to crap out, or
      your IDE port on the motherboard isn't working right.

      Personally, I would call Dell and tell them that. If possible, make a
      backup ASAP - your data sounds like it's in imminent danger.

      I think that if you boot off of the Dell provided CD's, one of them is a
      hardware diagnostic tool. Run through all the tests regarding
      motherboard and Hard drives. If you get an error from that, call Dell,
      and they will ship out new parts.

      Justin