RE: [linux-dell-laptops] replacement hard drive - Dell only?

  • Puttkammer, Roman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6 6:36 AM
      > to ONLY use a Dell replacement hard drive. Can anyone tell me if this
      > is correct?

      you can put anything you want into your laptop; i would say, as long as
      you don't use anything exotic, it should work fine. just don't expect
      any help from DELL support after you told them you installed some parts
      not sold by DELL specifically for your laptop.

      a good idea may be to search on deja for "latitude" and "disk" or "ibm"
      etc. there's a good chance that you find postings which mention the disk
      vendor/model dell puts into the laptop. you could then get the same thing
      from a different store (for way less money.) i did just that with memory
      (256Mb for approx. $200 instead of $750.)

      roman
    • Puttkammer, Roman
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6 6:37 AM
        > you can put anything you want into your laptop; i would say,
        > as long as you don't use anything exotic, it should work fine.

        on second thought, i don't have that much experience with laptops;
        you maybe want to check with other people first.

        sorry,
        roman
      • Paul R
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6 12:06 PM
          Which laptop did you have again?

          There are a lot of Dell laptop pages out there and I seem to remember
          that there was some information as to who manufactures them. TThis is a
          good page for 7500's for example.
          http://www.edgeworld.com/notebook/i7accessories.htm

          Look down for this question:
          Q: Is Sceptre the OEM for Dell's I7000's?

          This page also has good links:

          http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/links.html

          Hope this can help some people!

          -Paul R

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Art Delano
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6 1:42 PM
            >> to ONLY use a Dell replacement hard drive. Can anyone tell me if this
            >> is correct?
            >
            >you can put anything you want into your laptop; i would say, as long as
            >you don't use anything exotic, it should work fine. just don't expect
            >any help from DELL support after you told them you installed some parts
            >not sold by DELL specifically for your laptop.

            Dell is within rights to withhold support for a laptop whose hardware
            you've modified. On the other hand, they're unlikely to notice you'd
            swapped out the drive if you're returning it so they can replace the lid
            latch.

            Most of the bits you'd want to swap out of the laptop are likely to be
            fairly accessible these days. Third-party drive and RAM vendors are usually
            helpful with trying to match you up with parts that fit in your device. All
            you really need is the money, tools, and the nerve enough to poke around in
            the thing.

            >a good idea may be to search on deja for "latitude" and "disk" or "ibm"
            >etc. there's a good chance that you find postings which mention the disk
            >vendor/model dell puts into the laptop. you could then get the same thing
            >from a different store (for way less money.) i did just that with memory
            >(256Mb for approx. $200 instead of $750.)

            Dell's hardware documentation (bundled with the machine or available on
            their support site) tell you where the drive is accessed.

            The trick with hard drives for portables is that the drive bays are spec'd
            for drives of different heights -- 9.5mm, 12.5mm, and 17mm. This
            information should be available either in the manual that shipped with the
            computer or at service.dell.com, which archives PDFs of the manuals,
            including take-apart instructions for everything. At worst, you can look up
            the drive model number on the manufacturer's website and see if there are
            specs on it there, and relay that to your chosen vendor. The reputable ones
            will probably have supplied aftermarket parts for mainstream brands like
            Dell already.

            AjD

            --
            Art Delano, New Media Designer "The African Pygmies are back,
            Logic Solutions, Inc. this time playing with
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7 2:57 PM
              The newer Dell Latitudes use standard Fujitsu and IBM 2.5" hard drives. All
              you should have to do is remove the drive carriage and replace the drive.
              There is a circuit board that plugs into the IDE connector to mate with Dell's
              interface. I have used other brand hard drives without incident.

              Loyd

              --
              Loyd Goodbar
              lgoodbar@... ICQ#504581