Hard Disk / Controller Optimization

  • bh_mayor
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2002
      Linux Dell Laptop users:

      I have an IBM Travelstar drive (45GB) in my 8.1K, and am curious to
      know how I can defaultly (either using command line options on boot
      within grub.conf or within the kernel) force the hard drive and the
      controller to go into the speediest and fastest modes they can.

      Some several months back I mentioned in the FAQ that a command line
      of "hdparm -c3 -m16 -d1 -X66 (or -X68) -K1 /dev/hda" would tell the
      drive/controller to go into their fastest mode.

      However, I am now of the understanding that some certain command line
      parameters on the boot string can force some of those modes to become
      active.

      I have been told to try:

      ide0=autotune
      hda=autotune
      ide0=dma
      idebus=66 (or 68)

      Has anyone found any other such parameters?

      Has anyone tested these out, or knows how they can be verified if tested?

      Stuart
      Beverly Hills, CA