Re: Swapping floppy and CD-R on i8100 - HOT

  • w3a5e1
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 26, 2002
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Walter Logeman <walter@p...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I still dont have this working... Could anyone who has the
      > combi CDR-DVD and the variable bay with floppy OR CDR post
      > their fstab files to me or to the list? I need to get an i dea
      > of how to do this.
      >
      > Thanks

      Are you trying to do hotswaping? This is how i am getting it to work:

      The source release for the utility hdparm(search freshmeat.net) has a
      script called 'idectl' under the the contrib directory. It uses hdparm
      to rescan the idebus. Im pretty sure it won't work with any ide-scsi
      stuff loaded so rmmod all your scsi/ide-scsi modules. Pop the cd-rom
      into the the bay and run "idectl 1 rescan". There are all kinds of
      warnings in the man pages about using the hdparm features that this
      script uses, so use at your own risk. But it has been working fine on
      my system. I can then load the ide-scsi modules for my burner and burn
      away, even though the system wasn't started with the burner in place.

      As for the floppy im not sure i haven't had any need for mine yet. I
      belive you can just put it in and load the modules for it and /dev/fd0
      will be mountable.
      Here is my fstab:

      /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
      /dev/hda3 /home/adam/rips auto defaults,noatime 1 1
      /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
      proc /proc proc defaults,noatime 0 0
      /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,user,ro 0 0
      /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 noauto,user,ro 0 0
      none /dev/pts devpts gid=4,mode=620 0 0

      /dev/cdrom and cdrom1 are links to /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1.

      With this line in my modules.conf:
      above sr_mod ide-scsi
      module autoloading works when i go to access /dev/scd*
      hope this helps someone.
      adam