replacement hard drive - Dell only?

  • craig@osa.att.ne.jp
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2000
      Hi,
      I have a used Dell laptop (Latitude cp 233 Mhx) on which I want to
      install Linux. My initial problem is simply that the hard drive is a
      bit small (at around 2 gig) to have both Windows and Linux. Dell says
      to ONLY use a Dell replacement hard drive. Can anyone tell me if this
      is correct? I can find Maxtor and IMB branded notebook harddrives at
      a parts store a lot cheaper. Could I use one of these instead?

      Craig Hagerman
    • Puttkammer, Roman
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2000
        > to ONLY use a Dell replacement hard drive. Can anyone tell me if this
        > is correct?

        you can put anything you want into your laptop; i would say, as long as
        you don't use anything exotic, it should work fine. just don't expect
        any help from DELL support after you told them you installed some parts
        not sold by DELL specifically for your laptop.

        a good idea may be to search on deja for "latitude" and "disk" or "ibm"
        etc. there's a good chance that you find postings which mention the disk
        vendor/model dell puts into the laptop. you could then get the same thing
        from a different store (for way less money.) i did just that with memory
        (256Mb for approx. $200 instead of $750.)

        roman
      • Puttkammer, Roman
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2000
          > you can put anything you want into your laptop; i would say,
          > as long as you don't use anything exotic, it should work fine.

          on second thought, i don't have that much experience with laptops;
          you maybe want to check with other people first.

          sorry,
          roman
        • Paul R
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2000
            Which laptop did you have again?

            There are a lot of Dell laptop pages out there and I seem to remember
            that there was some information as to who manufactures them. TThis is a
            good page for 7500's for example.
            http://www.edgeworld.com/notebook/i7accessories.htm

            Look down for this question:
            Q: Is Sceptre the OEM for Dell's I7000's?

            This page also has good links:

            http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/links.html

            Hope this can help some people!

            -Paul R

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Art Delano
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2000
              >> to ONLY use a Dell replacement hard drive. Can anyone tell me if this
              >> is correct?
              >
              >you can put anything you want into your laptop; i would say, as long as
              >you don't use anything exotic, it should work fine. just don't expect
              >any help from DELL support after you told them you installed some parts
              >not sold by DELL specifically for your laptop.

              Dell is within rights to withhold support for a laptop whose hardware
              you've modified. On the other hand, they're unlikely to notice you'd
              swapped out the drive if you're returning it so they can replace the lid
              latch.

              Most of the bits you'd want to swap out of the laptop are likely to be
              fairly accessible these days. Third-party drive and RAM vendors are usually
              helpful with trying to match you up with parts that fit in your device. All
              you really need is the money, tools, and the nerve enough to poke around in
              the thing.

              >a good idea may be to search on deja for "latitude" and "disk" or "ibm"
              >etc. there's a good chance that you find postings which mention the disk
              >vendor/model dell puts into the laptop. you could then get the same thing
              >from a different store (for way less money.) i did just that with memory
              >(256Mb for approx. $200 instead of $750.)

              Dell's hardware documentation (bundled with the machine or available on
              their support site) tell you where the drive is accessed.

              The trick with hard drives for portables is that the drive bays are spec'd
              for drives of different heights -- 9.5mm, 12.5mm, and 17mm. This
              information should be available either in the manual that shipped with the
              computer or at service.dell.com, which archives PDFs of the manuals,
              including take-apart instructions for everything. At worst, you can look up
              the drive model number on the manufacturer's website and see if there are
              specs on it there, and relay that to your chosen vendor. The reputable ones
              will probably have supplied aftermarket parts for mainstream brands like
              Dell already.

              AjD

              --
              Art Delano, New Media Designer "The African Pygmies are back,
              Logic Solutions, Inc. this time playing with
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7, 2000
                The newer Dell Latitudes use standard Fujitsu and IBM 2.5" hard drives. All
                you should have to do is remove the drive carriage and replace the drive.
                There is a circuit board that plugs into the IDE connector to mate with Dell's
                interface. I have used other brand hard drives without incident.

                Loyd

                --
                Loyd Goodbar
                lgoodbar@... ICQ#504581