Re: XFree86 conf. on Inspiron 5000e (1400x1050)

  • mikesmith2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
      > Probably having the right kernel version is important too ?
      > I have 2.2.14 - and had no success too so far.

      Hmm, good point. I'm using Mandrake 7.1 with a stock 2.2.15 kernel
      ... I think I'll try a newer kernel.
    • Richard Hinrichs
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
        Hmmm, I'm using SuSe 2.2.17. I attached my XFConfig file...

        --Richard

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, skoruppa@m... wrote:

          > However, in addition there seems to be, say a apm - or more general
          > kernel, problem:

          Specifically, the CPU faults in BIOS code. I've heard reports that
          this is the result of a buggy BIOS that expects to be called in real
          mode. When it isn't, it dies... Two of us sent independent bug reports
          to the APM mailing list.. (You can see them off of:

          http://ibgwww.Colorado.EDU/~lessem/5000e/

          which is also a repository for information for getting i5000e's to run
          under linux.

          The APM problems are from the BIOS, not the kernel.

          > Sometimes, during installation with yast2 (under SuSE 6.4) after the
          > first reboot the system freezes, sometimes - in particular if I am
          > going under windows in between - it works; however when it comes
          > to the X-configuartion the I5000e freezes completely - independently
          > if I am trying XFree 3.3... or Xfree4.0.1 and sax or sax2 or XF86Cfg
          > or XF86Config.

          This may be because your system autostart's xdm on bootup. (Or for a
          test during installation) Then X destroys your console and you have to
          reboot to get out. See the above URL, which also links to a howto I
          wrote a couple weeks ago.

          For reference, my systme is a i5000e 1600x1200, with a mostly-stock
          debian install. (I custom-compiled xfree86 4.01 and included the new
          i128.o driver.)

          See the above URL for configs

          Scott Crosby