Re: XFree86 conf. on Inspiron 5000e (1400x1050)

  • skoruppa@math.uni-siegen.de
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, mikesmith2000@y... wrote:
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Richard Hinrichs"
      > <richi@q...>
      > wrote:
      > > This works fine on my I5000e/1400x1050. Please read the attached
      > README,
      > > which is also included in the archive.
      >
      > Sorry if I'm being really dumb, but I can't get this to work at all
      > on
      > my 1400x1050 i5000e - all I get is black screen or a bit of

      Probably having the right kernel version is important too ?
      I have 2.2.14 - and had no success too so far.
      ---Nils Skoruppa
    • mikesmith2000@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
        > Probably having the right kernel version is important too ?
        > I have 2.2.14 - and had no success too so far.

        Hmm, good point. I'm using Mandrake 7.1 with a stock 2.2.15 kernel
        ... I think I'll try a newer kernel.
      • Richard Hinrichs
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
          Hmmm, I'm using SuSe 2.2.17. I attached my XFConfig file...

          --Richard

        • crosby@qwes.math.cmu.edu
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, skoruppa@m... wrote:

            > However, in addition there seems to be, say a apm - or more general
            > kernel, problem:

            Specifically, the CPU faults in BIOS code. I've heard reports that
            this is the result of a buggy BIOS that expects to be called in real
            mode. When it isn't, it dies... Two of us sent independent bug reports
            to the APM mailing list.. (You can see them off of:

            http://ibgwww.Colorado.EDU/~lessem/5000e/

            which is also a repository for information for getting i5000e's to run
            under linux.

            The APM problems are from the BIOS, not the kernel.

            > Sometimes, during installation with yast2 (under SuSE 6.4) after the
            > first reboot the system freezes, sometimes - in particular if I am
            > going under windows in between - it works; however when it comes
            > to the X-configuartion the I5000e freezes completely - independently
            > if I am trying XFree 3.3... or Xfree4.0.1 and sax or sax2 or XF86Cfg
            > or XF86Config.

            This may be because your system autostart's xdm on bootup. (Or for a
            test during installation) Then X destroys your console and you have to
            reboot to get out. See the above URL, which also links to a howto I
            wrote a couple weeks ago.

            For reference, my systme is a i5000e 1600x1200, with a mostly-stock
            debian install. (I custom-compiled xfree86 4.01 and included the new
            i128.o driver.)

            See the above URL for configs

            Scott Crosby