RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: XFree86 conf. on Inspiron 5000e (1024x786)

  • Richard Hinrichs
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
      You may want to try XFree86 4.0.1c from the CVS repository. A compiled
      version posted by Ralf (ref.
      http://www.egroups.com/messages/linux-dell-laptops/1052 ) can be found under
      http://www.egroups.com/files/linux-dell-laptops/XF86_i5000e.tar.bz2 (3.2MB).

      This works fine on my I5000e/1400x1050. Please read the attached README,
      which is also included in the archive.

      --Richard

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Richard Hinrichs"
        <richi@q...>
        wrote:
        > This works fine on my I5000e/1400x1050. Please read the attached
        README,
        > which is also included in the archive.

        Sorry if I'm being really dumb, but I can't get this to work at all
        on
        my 1400x1050 i5000e - all I get is black screen or a bit of
        flickering. I've tried different HorizSync/VertRefresh rates and
        different modelines, but to no avail.

        Could you please post the entire contents of your XF86Config for use
        with the 1400x1050 display?

        TIA

        Mike Smith
      • skoruppa@math.uni-siegen.de
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, mikesmith2000@y... wrote:
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Richard Hinrichs"
          > <richi@q...>
          > wrote:
          > > This works fine on my I5000e/1400x1050. Please read the attached
          > README,
          > > which is also included in the archive.
          >
          > Sorry if I'm being really dumb, but I can't get this to work at all
          > on
          > my 1400x1050 i5000e - all I get is black screen or a bit of

          Probably having the right kernel version is important too ?
          I have 2.2.14 - and had no success too so far.
          ---Nils Skoruppa
        • mikesmith2000@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
            > Probably having the right kernel version is important too ?
            > I have 2.2.14 - and had no success too so far.

            Hmm, good point. I'm using Mandrake 7.1 with a stock 2.2.15 kernel
            ... I think I'll try a newer kernel.
          • Richard Hinrichs
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
              Hmmm, I'm using SuSe 2.2.17. I attached my XFConfig file...

              --Richard

            • crosby@qwes.math.cmu.edu
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, skoruppa@m... wrote:

                > However, in addition there seems to be, say a apm - or more general
                > kernel, problem:

                Specifically, the CPU faults in BIOS code. I've heard reports that
                this is the result of a buggy BIOS that expects to be called in real
                mode. When it isn't, it dies... Two of us sent independent bug reports
                to the APM mailing list.. (You can see them off of:

                http://ibgwww.Colorado.EDU/~lessem/5000e/

                which is also a repository for information for getting i5000e's to run
                under linux.

                The APM problems are from the BIOS, not the kernel.

                > Sometimes, during installation with yast2 (under SuSE 6.4) after the
                > first reboot the system freezes, sometimes - in particular if I am
                > going under windows in between - it works; however when it comes
                > to the X-configuartion the I5000e freezes completely - independently
                > if I am trying XFree 3.3... or Xfree4.0.1 and sax or sax2 or XF86Cfg
                > or XF86Config.

                This may be because your system autostart's xdm on bootup. (Or for a
                test during installation) Then X destroys your console and you have to
                reboot to get out. See the above URL, which also links to a howto I
                wrote a couple weeks ago.

                For reference, my systme is a i5000e 1600x1200, with a mostly-stock
                debian install. (I custom-compiled xfree86 4.01 and included the new
                i128.o driver.)

                See the above URL for configs

                Scott Crosby