Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: XFree86 conf. on Inspiron 5000e (1024x786)

  • Christopher Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2000
      --On Tuesday, October 03, 2000 6:59 PM +0000
      Jeff.Lessem+egroups@... wrote:
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, skoruppa@m... wrote:
      >> --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Dr. Jochen Wendiggensen"
      >
      > Hopefully this will be of some help to you. I have two different
      > XF86Config files posted at http://ibgwww.colorado.edu/~lessem/5000e
      > They are both for the 1600x1200 UXGA display, but they should be
      > modifiable to 1024x768 just by changing the modes in the "Screen"
      > section.
      >
      > I believe as long as you are using a version of XFRee86 4.0.1 that is
      > new enough your display settings will be automatically detected,
      > allowing you to run at 1024x768 with any XF86Config that approaches
      > sanity.

      I tried both of them and I'm still stuck in 1024x768 hell. I'm using RedHat
      7 (which also has problems launching GNOME... but that's another story).
      Everything seems to work fine in 1024x768 though, so I'm not sure what the
      problem is.

      Any thoughts?

      --Chris
    • skoruppa@math.uni-siegen.de
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Christopher Smith <x@x...>
        wrote:
        sanity.

        > I tried both of them and I'm still stuck in 1024x768 hell. I'm using
        RedHat
        > 7 (which also has problems launching GNOME... but that's another
        story).
        > Everything seems to work fine in 1024x768 though, so I'm not sure
        what the
        > problem is.
        >
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > --Chris

        One problem might be that the LCD displays spec are not completly or
        correctly detected and hence a very conservative default setting is
        used
        (which leads to 1024x768 for 1200x... or better displays, but only
        to 640x... on mine). I asked Dell for the precise specs
        of their displays - hope they answer.

        However, in addition there seems to be, say a apm - or more general
        kernel, problem:
        Sometimes, during installation with yast2 (under SuSE 6.4) after the
        first reboot the system freezes, sometimes - in particular if I am
        going under windows in between - it works; however when it comes
        to the X-configuartion the I5000e freezes completely - independently
        if I am trying XFree 3.3... or Xfree4.0.1 and sax or sax2 or XF86Cfg
        or XF86Config.

        I say "apm", since apm -suspend and similar or cat /proc/apm always
        gives a seg fault ???

        Complaining alone does not help much,
        but still - if others would report on their
        difficulties (like me) one might get hints
        where to search precisley for the
        problem ?
        PNB: It seems to be important to specify what system one actually has
        ( I5ke with "e", what display exactly of the three (?) which are
        currently on the market, ...)

        ---Nils Skoruppa
      • Richard Hinrichs
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
          You may want to try XFree86 4.0.1c from the CVS repository. A compiled
          version posted by Ralf (ref.
          http://www.egroups.com/messages/linux-dell-laptops/1052 ) can be found under
          http://www.egroups.com/files/linux-dell-laptops/XF86_i5000e.tar.bz2 (3.2MB).

          This works fine on my I5000e/1400x1050. Please read the attached README,
          which is also included in the archive.

          --Richard

        • mikesmith2000@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Richard Hinrichs"
            <richi@q...>
            wrote:
            > This works fine on my I5000e/1400x1050. Please read the attached
            README,
            > which is also included in the archive.

            Sorry if I'm being really dumb, but I can't get this to work at all
            on
            my 1400x1050 i5000e - all I get is black screen or a bit of
            flickering. I've tried different HorizSync/VertRefresh rates and
            different modelines, but to no avail.

            Could you please post the entire contents of your XF86Config for use
            with the 1400x1050 display?

            TIA

            Mike Smith
          • skoruppa@math.uni-siegen.de
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, mikesmith2000@y... wrote:
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Richard Hinrichs"
              > <richi@q...>
              > wrote:
              > > This works fine on my I5000e/1400x1050. Please read the attached
              > README,
              > > which is also included in the archive.
              >
              > Sorry if I'm being really dumb, but I can't get this to work at all
              > on
              > my 1400x1050 i5000e - all I get is black screen or a bit of

              Probably having the right kernel version is important too ?
              I have 2.2.14 - and had no success too so far.
              ---Nils Skoruppa
            • mikesmith2000@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
                > Probably having the right kernel version is important too ?
                > I have 2.2.14 - and had no success too so far.

                Hmm, good point. I'm using Mandrake 7.1 with a stock 2.2.15 kernel
                ... I think I'll try a newer kernel.
              • Richard Hinrichs
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
                  Hmmm, I'm using SuSe 2.2.17. I attached my XFConfig file...

                  --Richard

                • crosby@qwes.math.cmu.edu
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, skoruppa@m... wrote:

                    > However, in addition there seems to be, say a apm - or more general
                    > kernel, problem:

                    Specifically, the CPU faults in BIOS code. I've heard reports that
                    this is the result of a buggy BIOS that expects to be called in real
                    mode. When it isn't, it dies... Two of us sent independent bug reports
                    to the APM mailing list.. (You can see them off of:

                    http://ibgwww.Colorado.EDU/~lessem/5000e/

                    which is also a repository for information for getting i5000e's to run
                    under linux.

                    The APM problems are from the BIOS, not the kernel.

                    > Sometimes, during installation with yast2 (under SuSE 6.4) after the
                    > first reboot the system freezes, sometimes - in particular if I am
                    > going under windows in between - it works; however when it comes
                    > to the X-configuartion the I5000e freezes completely - independently
                    > if I am trying XFree 3.3... or Xfree4.0.1 and sax or sax2 or XF86Cfg
                    > or XF86Config.

                    This may be because your system autostart's xdm on bootup. (Or for a
                    test during installation) Then X destroys your console and you have to
                    reboot to get out. See the above URL, which also links to a howto I
                    wrote a couple weeks ago.

                    For reference, my systme is a i5000e 1600x1200, with a mostly-stock
                    debian install. (I custom-compiled xfree86 4.01 and included the new
                    i128.o driver.)

                    See the above URL for configs

                    Scott Crosby