[linux-dell-laptops] RH 6 on a Dell Latitude CPt

  • Corbett.Klempay@trilogy.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 1999
      Hey all...I just got my hands on a new Dell Latitude CPt. It's a Celeron
      333a, 192
      MB, and using the NeoMagic 256ZX for video. It also has a 3Com/Megahertz
      3c574BT 10/100 PCMCIA card. I'm trying to get Red Hat 6.0 up and totally
      happy on it. Problems:

      - The SVGA server doesn't play nicely with the 256ZX. I downloaded the
      binary-only beta NeoMagic server from Precision Insight's FTP, and that
      will at
      least give me video, but it looks like 320x200 or so, and that's it...I can
      see like
      the middle 50% of the GNOME splash screen, and you can't get it to pan to
      the
      rest of the screen. On starting up the X server, it seems the server
      thinks I have
      64k of video ram (when I have 4 MB).

      - The pcmcia package that ships with RH 6 is earlier than 3.0.0, which
      is the
      first version to include a driver (admittedly flaky) for the 3c574. I
      downloaded
      3.0.13 and built and installed that. I think the driver is being loaded
      now, since
      doing an insmod on the 3c574 driver says that it's already in. However, I
      have
      no net access...if nothing else, because I also need to get DHCP up and
      running
      (which I know squat about). The dhcpcd package is installed, but I don't
      know
      how to use it yet...just running it has it sitting there and timing out
      after a
      minute or so. (I'll look out for a DHCP howto to try to get a clue here)

      - I don't know if this is normal, but I couldn't install off of the
      CD-ROM...I
      booted up, and when it asks for the CD, I have to pull the floppy drive to
      swap in
      the CD-ROM, and the RH installer isn't aware of the drive after it is
      swapped in.
      I ended up having to copy the CD to a separate FAT partition and installing
      off
      of that. I originally intended to do a normal FTP install, but I couldn't
      do that, as
      the RH 6 installer and PCMCIA support disk don't support the 574.

      So, basically, I need to know:

      - Is it possible to get X working on this bugger?
      - How do I get pcmcia 3.0.13 and dhcpcd working and playing nicely
      together?
      - Also, does anyone know about support for this laptop's NeoMagic
      MagicMedia 256 sound?

      Inquiring minds want to know :) There are about 150 of us new hires who
      are
      being issued this exact configuration, and a good handful of us are
      interested in
      getting Linux working on it. (just having NT leaves me feeling so naked!)

      Corbett J. Klempay
      (512) 685-4193 / corbett.klempay@...
      http://www.acm.jhu.edu/~cklempay

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops
    • Neil
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 26, 1999
        On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 21:12:35 GMT, you wrote:

        >Hey all...I just got my hands on a new Dell Latitude CPt. It's a Celeron
        >333a, 192
        >MB, and using the NeoMagic 256ZX for video. It also has a 3Com/Megahertz
        >3c574BT 10/100 PCMCIA card. I'm trying to get Red Hat 6.0 up and totally
        >happy on it. Problems:

        is that card different from the 256's shipped with cpi 300's ? The 256 with
        those models works fine with x 3.3.3 drivers.

        DHCP is easyish. You can set it upfrom the gnome control panel. in RH.

        As for the ethernet card, try the latest PCMICA package.

        As for sound, urm, I can't get it to work either.

        Neil

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops
      • itn@internetezy.com.au
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
          I have spent the last 12 hours trying to get an identical machine to do
          the same thing. I am experiencing exactly the same problems. Do you
          have any update or progress??? HELPPP!

          =11

        • Corbett J. Klempay
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 1999
            No progress; as far as I know, there is still no support for this video
            chipset under X.

            ---
            Corbett J. Klempay
            Trilogy Software, Inc.
            512.685.4193 (W) | 512.750.1372 (C)
            corbett.klempay@...

          • Michael Overvold
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 1999
              I have a Latitude 366 CPiA that uses the 256 chipset
              also. I got an XF86Config file from Chuck Boeheim
              that allows 1024x768. You might want to try it. HEre
              it is.

              Mike Overvold

              --- "Corbett J. Klempay" <corbett.klempay@...>