Re: XFree86 conf. on Inspiron 5000e (1024x786)

  • skoruppa@math.uni-siegen.de
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2000
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Dr. Jochen Wendiggensen"
      <jochen.wendiggensen@f...> wrote:
      > Hi Nils

      > The XFree86 3.3.6 with SuSe 7.0 and the configuration with SaX (mach
      64)
      > works out of the box for my Dell I5k with 1024x768

      Could you poste your XF68Config file ? Maybe this would help.
      I read in the Net that there should be a subtle difference
      between I5000 and I5000e (please note the "e"). If you confirmed
      that yours is also an I5000e (e!), I shall stop fiddling
      around and would simply upgrade to SuSE 7.0.

      Thank you for your reply,
      ---Nils Skoruppa
    • Jeff.Lessem+egroups@Colorado.EDU
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2000
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, skoruppa@m... wrote:
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Dr. Jochen Wendiggensen"

        Hopefully this will be of some help to you. I have two different
        XF86Config files posted at http://ibgwww.colorado.edu/~lessem/5000e
        They are both for the 1600x1200 UXGA display, but they should be
        modifiable to 1024x768 just by changing the modes in the "Screen"
        section.

        I believe as long as you are using a version of XFRee86 4.0.1 that is
        new enough your display settings will be automatically detected,
        allowing you to run at 1024x768 with any XF86Config that approaches
        sanity.

        > Could you poste your XF68Config file ? Maybe this would help.
        > I read in the Net that there should be a subtle difference
        > between I5000 and I5000e (please note the "e"). If you confirmed
        > that yours is also an I5000e (e!), I shall stop fiddling
        > around and would simply upgrade to SuSE 7.0.
        >
        > Thank you for your reply,
        > ---Nils Skoruppa
      • Christopher Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2000
          --On Tuesday, October 03, 2000 6:59 PM +0000
          Jeff.Lessem+egroups@... wrote:
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, skoruppa@m... wrote:
          >> --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Dr. Jochen Wendiggensen"
          >
          > Hopefully this will be of some help to you. I have two different
          > XF86Config files posted at http://ibgwww.colorado.edu/~lessem/5000e
          > They are both for the 1600x1200 UXGA display, but they should be
          > modifiable to 1024x768 just by changing the modes in the "Screen"
          > section.
          >
          > I believe as long as you are using a version of XFRee86 4.0.1 that is
          > new enough your display settings will be automatically detected,
          > allowing you to run at 1024x768 with any XF86Config that approaches
          > sanity.

          I tried both of them and I'm still stuck in 1024x768 hell. I'm using RedHat
          7 (which also has problems launching GNOME... but that's another story).
          Everything seems to work fine in 1024x768 though, so I'm not sure what the
          problem is.

          Any thoughts?

          --Chris
        • skoruppa@math.uni-siegen.de
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Christopher Smith <x@x...>
            wrote:
            sanity.

            > I tried both of them and I'm still stuck in 1024x768 hell. I'm using
            RedHat
            > 7 (which also has problems launching GNOME... but that's another
            story).
            > Everything seems to work fine in 1024x768 though, so I'm not sure
            what the
            > problem is.
            >
            > Any thoughts?
            >
            > --Chris

            One problem might be that the LCD displays spec are not completly or
            correctly detected and hence a very conservative default setting is
            used
            (which leads to 1024x768 for 1200x... or better displays, but only
            to 640x... on mine). I asked Dell for the precise specs
            of their displays - hope they answer.

            However, in addition there seems to be, say a apm - or more general
            kernel, problem:
            Sometimes, during installation with yast2 (under SuSE 6.4) after the
            first reboot the system freezes, sometimes - in particular if I am
            going under windows in between - it works; however when it comes
            to the X-configuartion the I5000e freezes completely - independently
            if I am trying XFree 3.3... or Xfree4.0.1 and sax or sax2 or XF86Cfg
            or XF86Config.

            I say "apm", since apm -suspend and similar or cat /proc/apm always
            gives a seg fault ???

            Complaining alone does not help much,
            but still - if others would report on their
            difficulties (like me) one might get hints
            where to search precisley for the
            problem ?
            PNB: It seems to be important to specify what system one actually has
            ( I5ke with "e", what display exactly of the three (?) which are
            currently on the market, ...)

            ---Nils Skoruppa
          • Richard Hinrichs
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
              You may want to try XFree86 4.0.1c from the CVS repository. A compiled
              version posted by Ralf (ref.
              http://www.egroups.com/messages/linux-dell-laptops/1052 ) can be found under
              http://www.egroups.com/files/linux-dell-laptops/XF86_i5000e.tar.bz2 (3.2MB).

              This works fine on my I5000e/1400x1050. Please read the attached README,
              which is also included in the archive.

              --Richard

            • mikesmith2000@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Richard Hinrichs"
                <richi@q...>
                wrote:
                > This works fine on my I5000e/1400x1050. Please read the attached
                README,
                > which is also included in the archive.

                Sorry if I'm being really dumb, but I can't get this to work at all
                on
                my 1400x1050 i5000e - all I get is black screen or a bit of
                flickering. I've tried different HorizSync/VertRefresh rates and
                different modelines, but to no avail.

                Could you please post the entire contents of your XF86Config for use
                with the 1400x1050 display?

                TIA

                Mike Smith
              • skoruppa@math.uni-siegen.de
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, mikesmith2000@y... wrote:
                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Richard Hinrichs"
                  > <richi@q...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > This works fine on my I5000e/1400x1050. Please read the attached
                  > README,
                  > > which is also included in the archive.
                  >
                  > Sorry if I'm being really dumb, but I can't get this to work at all
                  > on
                  > my 1400x1050 i5000e - all I get is black screen or a bit of

                  Probably having the right kernel version is important too ?
                  I have 2.2.14 - and had no success too so far.
                  ---Nils Skoruppa
                • mikesmith2000@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
                    > Probably having the right kernel version is important too ?
                    > I have 2.2.14 - and had no success too so far.

                    Hmm, good point. I'm using Mandrake 7.1 with a stock 2.2.15 kernel
                    ... I think I'll try a newer kernel.
                  • Richard Hinrichs
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
                      Hmmm, I'm using SuSe 2.2.17. I attached my XFConfig file...

                      --Richard

                    • crosby@qwes.math.cmu.edu
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, skoruppa@m... wrote:

                        > However, in addition there seems to be, say a apm - or more general
                        > kernel, problem:

                        Specifically, the CPU faults in BIOS code. I've heard reports that
                        this is the result of a buggy BIOS that expects to be called in real
                        mode. When it isn't, it dies... Two of us sent independent bug reports
                        to the APM mailing list.. (You can see them off of:

                        http://ibgwww.Colorado.EDU/~lessem/5000e/

                        which is also a repository for information for getting i5000e's to run
                        under linux.

                        The APM problems are from the BIOS, not the kernel.

                        > Sometimes, during installation with yast2 (under SuSE 6.4) after the
                        > first reboot the system freezes, sometimes - in particular if I am
                        > going under windows in between - it works; however when it comes
                        > to the X-configuartion the I5000e freezes completely - independently
                        > if I am trying XFree 3.3... or Xfree4.0.1 and sax or sax2 or XF86Cfg
                        > or XF86Config.

                        This may be because your system autostart's xdm on bootup. (Or for a
                        test during installation) Then X destroys your console and you have to
                        reboot to get out. See the above URL, which also links to a howto I
                        wrote a couple weeks ago.

                        For reference, my systme is a i5000e 1600x1200, with a mostly-stock
                        debian install. (I custom-compiled xfree86 4.01 and included the new
                        i128.o driver.)

                        See the above URL for configs

                        Scott Crosby