Re: Success with Red Hat 7 on 5000e

  • ron@sunflower.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2000
      I have an inspiron 5000e with the UXGA display and have not had much
      luck with X - when it probes - the settings get set funky - everytime
      I run X the screen session will start but if I try to exit are change
      tty's the screen carmelizes and I have to do a hard reboot. Would you
      or anyone else with a working X be willing to let me gander at you
      config file? I am running RH-7.0.
      Oh - pcmcia works great and apparently the USB port was recognized -
      what I can do with it at this point is unknown - can't get into X.

      Thanks

    • crosby@qwes.math.cmu.edu
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, ron@s... wrote:
        > I have an inspiron 5000e with the UXGA display and have not had
        much
        > luck with X - when it probes - the settings get set funky -
        everytime
        > I run X the screen session will start but if I try to exit are
        change
        > tty's the screen carmelizes and I have to do a hard reboot. Would
        you
        > or anyone else with a working X be willing to let me gander at you
        > config file? I am running RH-7.0.
        > Oh - pcmcia works great and apparently the USB port was recognized
        -
        > what I can do with it at this point is unknown - can't get into X.
        >
        > Thanks

        Um.. Have you ever heard of the SEARCH command? I wrote a howto and a
        howto addendum only one week and 25 messages ago.

        The search function exists for a reason: USE IT!!

        Do a search for 'xfree86' or '5000' or '5000e'. I don't mind helping
        if there's a genuine request or a problem. It's when an idiot can't
        see a post barely a week old, one with a subject of ``XFree86 on
        Inspiron 5000e -- HOWTO'' and they STILL ask a stupid question.

        I wrote that howto because there weren't any other clear instruction
        when I did my search. I outlined the issues and problems I
        experienced. I tried to be complete. Read it, try the instructions.
      • Dada Krpasundarananda
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2000
          Crosby wrote:
          > Do a search for 'xfree86' or '5000' or '5000e'. I don't mind helping
          > if there's a genuine request or a problem. It's when an idiot can't
          > see a post barely a week old, one with a subject of ``XFree86 on
          > Inspiron 5000e -- HOWTO'' and they STILL ask a stupid question.

          There is no need to be rude, just typing the URL would have been much
          quicker...

          Stupid and idiot are not the words to encourage someone to do some research
          themselves if you don't have the time... Be gentle with people, there are
          enough bad vibes in the world.

          I joined this list few days ago, now I am afraid to say anything as it may
          have been discussed already just before I joined... (I understand e-groups
          has archives, maybe an other new person doesn't know)

          I am sure you put a lot of hours in the Howto, but why to offend people?
          It'll be hard for them to feel much appreciation for your effort.

          Some people learn much quicker from a personal reply than from wading
          through lot of documentation. Really no one has to reply... some one else
          may be happy to help out. Helping is not always just to get the job done but
          also social interaction.

          Over the last weeks someone has been helping me to get the winmodem to work
          on the I7000 (not successful yet). I am sure I could have found everything
          by doing searches, but it was more fun with someone's help. And he also
          enjoyed helping.

          So lets help each other from the heart...
          Isn't Linux a bit about creating a better (MS-free:) world...

          Dada
        • Peter B. West
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2000
            crosby@... wrote:

            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, ron@s... wrote:
            > > I have an inspiron 5000e with the UXGA display and have not had
            > much
            > > luck with X - when it probes - the settings get set funky -
            > everytime
            > > I run X the screen session will start but if I try to exit are
            > change
            > > tty's the screen carmelizes and I have to do a hard reboot. Would
            > you
            > > or anyone else with a working X be willing to let me gander at you
            > > config file? I am running RH-7.0.
            > > Oh - pcmcia works great and apparently the USB port was recognized
            > -
            > > what I can do with it at this point is unknown - can't get into X.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >

            > Um.. Have you ever heard of the SEARCH command? I wrote a howto and a
            > howto addendum only one week and 25 messages ago.
            >
            > The search function exists for a reason: USE IT!!
            >
            > Do a search for 'xfree86' or '5000' or '5000e'. I don't mind helping
            > if there's a genuine request or a problem. It's when an idiot can't
            > see a post barely a week old, one with a subject of ``XFree86 on
            > Inspiron 5000e -- HOWTO'' and they STILL ask a stupid question.
            >
            > I wrote that howto because there weren't any other clear instruction
            > when I did my search. I outlined the issues and problems I
            > experienced. I tried to be complete. Read it, try the instructions.

            A gentle reminder will do. This idiot knows about SEARCH, and he also
            knows that the search on egroups was, when he last used it, very badly
            broken. I don't know whether it is any better now.

            Peter
            --
            Peter B. West pbwest@... +353 1 637 2455(W)
            "Lord, to whom shall we go?"