Fixed! UXGA on I4100 G2Go patch

  • pdiwexler
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2002
      Great news! NVidia got back to me with a fix for the problems that
      have been reported with the UXGA (1600x1200) Inspiron 4100 with a
      GeForce2Go card. Here's a quick summary of how to fix the problem:

      1. Download the NVIDIA_kernel tarball and decompress to a temporary
      directory.

      2. Add the following two lines to the bottom of the os-registry.c
      file:
      U032 NVreg_SoftEDIDs = 0x1;
      MODULE_PARM(NVreg_SoftEDIDs, "i");

      3. Become root, rebuild and install the kernel module with "make".

      Assuming you have no compile or insmod errors (I didn't have any
      with a standard RH7.2 install), you should now have a working
      system. A fairly normal XF86Config file should work fine. The
      important sections of my config file are at the end of this post.

      Many thanks to Andy Ritger and Nick Triantos from NVidia for solving
      this problem so quickly!

      Remember that this problem only happened with the i4100 UXGA G2Go
      models. This fix should not be required for any other Dell laptop
      or i4100 models with native resolutions other than UXGA.

      Andy Ritger also notes:

      > SoftEDIDs (EDIDs generated in software by the kernel module,
      > based on data in the video BIOS) will be the default for
      > mobile LCDs in our next release (they already use it on
      > windows, and it apparently works very well).

      Daniel Wexler
      R&D Staff, PDI/DreamWorks
      http://www.flarg.com

      Here are the important sections of my XF86Config-4 file:

      Section "Module"
      # Load "GLcore"
      Load "dbe"
      Load "extmod"
      Load "fbdevhw"
      Load "pex5"
      # Load "dri"
      Load "glx"
      Load "pex5"
      Load "record"
      Load "xie"
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "LCD"
      VendorName "Dell"
      ModelName "UXGA"
      HorizSync 30-100
      VertRefresh 60
      Option "dpms"
      EndSection

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "NV AGP"
      VendorName "nvidia"
      Driver "nvidia"
      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
      EndSection

      Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen0"
      Device "NV AGP"
      Monitor "LCD"
      DefaultColorDepth 24

      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Modes "1600x1200"
      EndSubsection
      EndSection
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2002
        Daniel,
        Thanks for relaying that info... this hopefully will solve a huge
        number of people's problems.

        cheers,
        steve

        --
        stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
      • Jeremy Mann
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 20, 2002
          --- pdiwexler <wex@...> wrote:
          > Great news! NVidia got back to me with a fix for the problems that
          > have been reported with the UXGA (1600x1200) Inspiron 4100 with a
          > GeForce2Go card. Here's a quick summary of how to fix the problem:
          >
          > 1. Download the NVIDIA_kernel tarball and decompress to a temporary
          > directory.
          >
          > 2. Add the following two lines to the bottom of the os-registry.c
          > file:
          > U032 NVreg_SoftEDIDs = 0x1;
          > MODULE_PARM(NVreg_SoftEDIDs, "i");

          OMG!! It worked!! YES!!! Now I can play Q3A on my laptop..WOOHOO!!! Will NVIDIA
          put these lines in the next driver release?

          =====
          Jeremy Mann
          jeremy@...

          Bioinformatics Department

          http://sports.yahoo.com
        • pdiwexler
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 20, 2002
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Jeremy Mann <bigjnsa500@y...> wrote:
            > Will NVIDIA
            > put these lines in the next driver release?

            Andy Ritger indicated that this would be included in the next driver
            release. In fact, SoftEDIDs will be standard for all laptops, I
            believe.

            Dan
          • Philip Trickett
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2002
              Did he say roughly when the next release would be?

              Cheers,

              Phil Trickett

              On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 20:26, pdiwexler wrote:
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Jeremy Mann <bigjnsa500@y...> wrote:
              > > Will NVIDIA
              > > put these lines in the next driver release?
              >
              > Andy Ritger indicated that this would be included in the next driver
              > release. In fact, SoftEDIDs will be standard for all laptops, I
              > believe.
              >
              > Dan

            • Mads Bondo Dydensborg
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21, 2002
                On 21 Feb 2002, Philip Trickett wrote:

                > Did he say roughly when the next release would be?

                Or, did he mention anything about apm support ;-D

                Mads

                --
                Mads Bondo Dydensborg. madsdyd@...
                You know you're a Linux geek when...

                When you hear the words 'Fresh meat' you think of software.

                - segfault