Re: Problems with Dell I5K, Mandrake 7.1, and Windows 98SE

  • jason@kidplastic.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2000
      I have successfully ran my Win98SE and Mandrake 7.1 dual boot for
      over a month now without any problems what so ever between the two.
      I used dos FDISK to create a 3 GB partition for windows. Installed
      windows and all was OK. Then I did setup for Mandrake, using its disk
      manager program. I created a 3 GB partiton for Linux OS and another 5
      GB partiton which I formatted as FAT32. I did not touch the already
      created FAT 32 partiton which contained WIN98. I installed the boot
      manager (GRUB) to the MBR. Both the Linux and the WIN98SE boot up
      without problem. However, I have noticed that Windows cannot access
      the FAT32 partition that Linux created.

      Hope that helps.

      PS: Any help with getting windows to access that partition (without
      reloading windows) would be greatly appreciated!

      Jason LaMons
      jason@...

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, raskin@h... wrote:
      > I was able to install Mandrake 7.1 along side Windows 98 SE (8 GB
      for
      > Windows, 3.5 GB for Linux). However, after about seven days, trying
      > to reboot my system resulted in my being kicked out to the "grub>"
      > prompt. Trying to boot up from the rescue diskette or installation
      CD