Can I delete "Dell Utility" partition at hda1 on I8100 for red hat 7.1/win2000

  • yong_ge
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2002
      HI,

      I found the message from the list and the faq for the suspend to
      disk is very helpful. I've installed windows 20000 and red hat 7.1 on
      Inspiron 8100 laptop. Using the windows boot option for dual booting,
      now I'm able to press Fn+Esc to suspend, which means the harddrive
      stops making the annoying noise and the screen is totally blank and
      the LED for power and harddrive is off. Later I found that it was not
      the REAL one. As mentioned before in this list it should be called
      suspend to "hardware" as it still uses a little bit battery, one
      battery may last more than 30 hours. If I used the AC adapter at the
      same time, the battery will be flashing once in serveral seconds for
      charging, which might not be good to the laptop and annoying.

      I'd like to use the real suspend to disk without using any battery by
      pressing Fn+A twice. When I tried this, itt said that "No suspend
      partition available". While I had used phdisk creating a suspend
      partition, the place was not at hda1 suggested from the hda1, but
      from hda2.

      My question is: from my disk partition, I found that partition
      called "dell utility" which is generated from windows 2000 (I also
      need to keep windows 2000 for dual booting). This partition is on
      hda1, the type is FAT. The size is very small, about 16M.

      I'd like to know what's the use this partition called "Dell Utility",
      if I delete it, will it damage my windows 2000 or will cause some
      hardware or software problems?

      I really want the real Suspend to disk to work by pressing Fn+A twice,
      though I can live with the suspend to hardware by pressing Fn+Esc.

      Can somebody give me suggestions about the "dell utility" partition?
      Thank you.

      Yongchao
    • Peter Møller Neergaard
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2002
        The Dell partition contains various system information that Dell uses
        in case they take the system in for repair. (Cory has given the
        details in another mail).

        Asking Dell support directly they do not believe that you should erase
        the partition and insist that it should be located as the first
        partition. (But would you have expected any other answer? :-) ).

        Personally, I decided to save a copy of the image using

        dd if=/dev/hda1 of=dell-utilities-partition-image

        and then repartition my hard disk as I needed. If they ever take it
        in for repair, they are probably not going to like it, but they can
        actually restore the information in that way.

        /Peter
        --
        http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
        ``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2002
          Peter, et al.:

          I have never noticed any such partition on any of the Dell laptops I
          have had, and I have had a few. Nonetheless, whenever I have sent
          the laptop in for repair, they have instructed me to REMOVE the hard
          drive from the system before sending it! So how do they know what is
          on my hard drive, if they tell me to REMOVE the hard drive before it
          is sent back to them?

          What if the hard drive needs repair?

          Well in those cases they have advance shipped me a hard drive, and I
          send mine back to them. Usually not working, in which case they are
          going to see if the first partition is still good?

          I dont think so. I have had systems and hard drives, exchanged and
          repaired, so I know all this from experience not guessing.

          Stuart
          Beverly Hills, CA

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Peter Møller Neergaard <turtle@a...>