Broken internet!!

  • Sergio Dominguez
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2002
      Hi lads!

      I have a couple of problems that I need to sort out. I Have no internet!!

      I am on cable and suddenly it stopped working. I have a dhcp client running
      and it gets no IP no matter what I do. The modem is fine and everything, and,
      this is what hurts me the most, under windows it is working fine. The
      technical suppor say that they have changed nothing, but neither have I and
      yesterday it was working and today is not.

      Anyone can give me a hand??

      Cheers

      Sergio
    • Sergio Dominguez
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18, 2002
        Hhi again,

        I have tried everything. I have killed the dhcpclient, I have turned off the
        modem, asigned the same IP I am getting in Windows, tried all and nothing!!!

        Can anyone please give me a hand??

        Sergio
        *A las 07:55 del 18 de Feb de 2002, Sergio Dominguez <sergio@...> dijo:
        > Hi lads!
        >
        > I have a couple of problems that I need to sort out. I Have no internet!!
        >
        > I am on cable and suddenly it stopped working. I have a dhcp client running
        > and it gets no IP no matter what I do. The modem is fine and everything, and,
        > this is what hurts me the most, under windows it is working fine. The
        > technical suppor say that they have changed nothing, but neither have I and
        > yesterday it was working and today is not.
        >
        > Anyone can give me a hand??
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Sergio

        QOTD:
        "The only real difference between men and women is that men are
        crabby all month long."
      • Sergio Dominguez
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 18, 2002
          Sure I CAn!!! Thanks!

          it does not look much interesting, though

          linux:/home/sergio # netstat -rn
          Kernel IP routing table
          Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
          linux:/home/sergio # ifconfig
          eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:06:5B:37:E0:33
          inet6 addr: fe80::206:5bff:fe37:e033/10 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MTU:1500 Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:840 (840.0 b) TX bytes:2648 (2.5 Kb)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xec80
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 18, 2002
            Quick note - if this is the problem...reboot into Windows and type
            'ipconfig' to see your gateway you have for your Ethernet card. Boot back
            into Linux, and try typing '/sbin/route add default gw xx.xx.xx.xx'
            filling in the gateway IP address as appropriate.

            -steve

            --
            stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
          • Jerome Lacoste (Work)
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18, 2002
              Could you paste the output of a 'netstat -rn'?

              Cheers

              On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 22:50, Sergio Dominguez wrote:

              > Hhi again,
              >
              > I have tried everything. I have killed the dhcpclient, I have turned off the
              > modem, asigned the same IP I am getting in Windows, tried all and nothing!!!
              >

              > Can anyone please give me a hand??
              >
              > Sergio
              > *A las 07:55 del 18 de Feb de 2002, Sergio Dominguez <sergio@...> dijo:
              > > Hi lads!
              > >
              > > I have a couple of problems that I need to sort out. I Have no internet!!
              > >
              > > I am on cable and suddenly it stopped working. I have a dhcp client running
              > > and it gets no IP no matter what I do. The modem is fine and everything, and,
              > > this is what hurts me the most, under windows it is working fine. The
              > > technical suppor say that they have changed nothing, but neither have I and
              > > yesterday it was working and today is not.
              > >
              > > Anyone can give me a hand??
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > >
              > > Sergio

              > QOTD:
              > "The only real difference between men and women is that men are
              > crabby all month long."

            • Jerome Lacoste (Work)

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 18, 2002
                  Id have to agree... for instance, on my laptop (connects using DHCP)
                  this is my netstat -rn

                  Kernel IP routing table
                  Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
                  192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 40 0 0 eth0
                  127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 40 0 0 lo
                  0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 40 0 0 eth0

                  and then on my desktop downstairs (my router per se)

                  Kernel IP routing table
                  Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
                  255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 40 0 0 eth0
                  199.70.76.70 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 40 0 0 ppp0
                  192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 40 0 0 eth0
                  127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 40 0 0 lo
                  0.0.0.0 199.70.76.70 0.0.0.0 UG 40 0 0 ppp0

                  note the entry marked UG
                  I have no idea what the U stands for, but the G means that's my gateway
                  (using my modem, ppp0)
                  my laptop dosent know how to use my desktop's modem, so it just goes to my
                  desktop, which routes it to the internet via the modem... (over
                  simplification I think)

                  but anyways, you need some sort of default gateway (0.0.0.0) or your
                  computer dosent know where to send packets

                  bah, it's late I had a crappy day, if this information was completely
                  incorrect I appologize and I'll shut up... if it helped, yay
                  --Andrew -.-