Re: Mandrake 8.1 won't boot properly

  • country_hams
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2002
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "yukonmystery" <yukonmystery@y...>
      wrote:
      > I don't suppose you checked the /var/log/XFree86.log file for
      errors,
      > did you? That would probably give you some place to start.If you
      can't
      > decipher, then post here.
      >
      > If you can't log in, boot with your boot floppy (you did make one,
      > right?). You're probably best to set your run level to 3 and just
      boot
      > into console mode.
      >
      > Cory
      >
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "ace_rip" <mikelturner@h...> wrote:
      > > I'm a linux newbie, so I have no idea what's going on.
      > > I just installed Mandrake 8.1 on my Inspiron 8000 and installed
      the
      > > latest Nvidia drivers for it (I have Geforce2 go 32MB), since the
      > > distribution come with the correct drivers. Now, when I try to
      boot
      > > it, an Nvidia screens pops up, then a console login screen, and
      it
      > > then alternates back and forth between them. The actual grphical
      > > environment doesn't actually show up ( I can't remember if I
      picked
      > > KDE or GNOME).
      > > Can anybody tell me what would cause this and how I can fix
      it?
      > > Thanks in advance for any help!

      I have the same problem when trying to install mandrales dvd linux
      8.1 distribution on my inspiron 8000. The first installation
      screen did allow a terminal installation. You must reject (cancel)
      the video installation on the last installation screen .

      I think you can tell that I am a novice linux also. I am now busy
      learning bash. Please advise me if you find a cire.

      Les Hamilton leshaml@...