Re: [linux-dell-laptops] power cable, apm?

  • Mike Hicks
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2002
      Nils-Anders Duesund Nottseter <nils-anders.nottseter@...> wrote:

      > Hi. I've been on this list for a while now, and I've found many helpful
      > hints. Thanks.
      >
      > My problem is that whenever I plug my power cable in or out of the
      > computer, it completely locks up. It happens instantly. I've tried with
      > and without APM and/or ACPI, it happens before X, in X, everywhere. I've
      > tried several different kernel versions, and I really don't know why it
      > happens.

      Most likely, this is due to having APIC support enabled in the kernel.
      This appears to be a fairly widespread problem with Intel motherboard
      chipsets, and with Dell computers more specifically..

      Try booting the system with the `noapic' kernel command-line option, which
      should disable APIC:

      LILO boot: linux noapic

      If that works, modify /etc/lilo.conf and edit your append="..." line to
      include `noapic' in it.

      --
      _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ <<-- EVACUATION ROUTE <<--