[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Trouble w/ printer

  • Leon Wood
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 1999
      -----Original Message-----
      From: tjoconnor01@... <tjoconnor01@...>
      To: linux-dell-laptops@... <linux-dell-laptops@...>
      Date: October 1, 1999 7:33 AM
      Subject: [linux-dell-laptops] Trouble w/ printer

      >I am having trouble using my printer. I toggled the setting in my bios
      >to remove PnP support for my parrell port. Printtool now detects my
      >printer on lp0. When I attempt to print, it correctly spools the
      >file... but does not print at all. I've triend using a text-only
      >printer but it still does not work. I am using a HP Deskjet 720C / and
      >RedHat 6.0 if anybody could help. Thank you.

      Is data getting through to the printer? You can test this by copying a text
      file directly to the port. I believe the command is something like:
      cp foo.txt /dev/lp0

      If that works, have you installed and set up Ghostscript? I suspect that
      printer is not a postscript printer (my Deskjet 320 isn't). AFAIK all output
      from Linux programs is postscript and you need Ghostscript to rasterize the
      postscript if you're using a non-postscript printer.

      Leon Wood