RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Advantages of Win 2000 over Linux - Need Help

  • ---(rick moranis)---
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2002
      i think the only thing i dislike about linux is hardware support. it is
      there, but it usually takes some time before it appears. when hardware comes
      out, the drivers are written for windows when you buy the hardware. however,
      it takes sometime for them to find their way into the linux
      community...especially with not so common devices. however, i love
      everything else about linux and that's why i continue to use it. i like how
      linux, with a standard install (at least for slackware) is setup to be so
      many different servers while at the same time still being perfectly suited
      for home use. while on the other hand, if you wanted to do the same with
      windows, you'd have an insecure base system to begin with, and then have to
      put a bunch of programs ontop of that. right now, because of my laptop and a
      missconfigured cox.net network, i have a protable webserver anywhere within
      the cox network. i'm using dhcp like all the other computers on the network,
      but my ip NEVER changes. it's been exactly the same for 8 months. the real
      shock was taking it over to my friends house, plugging it in, and finding
      that my ip was exactly the same!...if only this worked outside of the .net
      network.