useful fan control utils/gkrellm plugins

  • fortepianissimo
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 13 6:17 AM
      It's nicely packaged into one single rpm:

      http://enigma.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=601

      make sure when compiling kernel you have turned on CONFIG_I8K.

      (BTW my machine is I4100+BIOS A04 and it runs perfectly with all bells
      and whistles)

      Before running gkrellm remember "modprobe i8k", this will give you
      /proc/i8k and you can cat it to see the info (including fan status,
      rotation speed, service tag, etc) in one line.

      Better yet you can use the included gkrellm plugin to either
      automatically/manually control both of your fans. For automatic mode
      you can set up the control policy for both fans (above what temp
      should the fans kick in, etc).

      One question: for those who are already using it, what are the
      reasonable settings for the automatic fan control?

      Ben
    • Markus Kohli
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 13 6:19 AM
        Advantage is mostly that you can setup at which temperature the fans turn
        on/off. You can exactly specify which fan when to turn on.

        I like it :-)

        --
        A member of the Don't Let The Fungi From Yuggoth Breed Society.
      • kev0153
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 13 7:27 AM
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "fortepianissimo"
          <fortepianissimo@y...> wrote:
          -----SNIP>
          > make sure when compiling kernel you have turned on CONFIG_I8K.

          -----SNIP>
          > Ben

          Is this module on in the stock red hat 7.2 kernel? 2.4.9-21? Or do i
          need to recompile? My guess is that it is not becuse i cant modprobe
          i8k.

          Thanks
          Kevin
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13 8:04 AM
            On AC, I have the left fan come on at 60, the right come on at 65, the left
            goes to high at 70, and the both are high at 75.

            for battery, I have the same thing except 5 degrees hotter for both.

            -steve

            --
            stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
          • Victor Manuel Hernandez Maksimenko
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 13 8:16 AM
              Hey there,

              isn't 60-75 C too hot?, is the temp reported by the i8k bios accurate?,

              i'm new to laptops, but on desktops i just try to run everything at
              30-45 C. i have set the gkrellm plug-in to fire the left fan at 45, the
              right at 50, the left high at 55 and the right high at 60, i notice that
              my laptop is running constantly between the 45 - 52 range, but the fans
              are always on.

              On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 12:04, Stephen Lau wrote:
              > On AC, I have the left fan come on at 60, the right come on at 65, the left
              > goes to high at 70, and the both are high at 75.
              >
              > for battery, I have the same thing except 5 degrees hotter for both.
              >
              > -steve
              >
              > On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 02:17:56PM -0000, fortepianissimo wrote:
              > > It's nicely packaged into one single rpm:
              > >
              > > http://enigma.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=601
              > >
              > > make sure when compiling kernel you have turned on CONFIG_I8K.
              > >
              > > (BTW my machine is I4100+BIOS A04 and it runs perfectly with all bells
              > > and whistles)
              > >
              > > Before running gkrellm remember "modprobe i8k", this will give you
              > > /proc/i8k and you can cat it to see the info (including fan status,
              > > rotation speed, service tag, etc) in one line.
              > >
              > > Better yet you can use the included gkrellm plugin to either
              > > automatically/manually control both of your fans. For automatic mode
              > > you can set up the control policy for both fans (above what temp
              > > should the fans kick in, etc).
              > >
              > > One question: for those who are already using it, what are the
              > > reasonable settings for the automatic fan control?
              > >
              > > Ben
              > >

              > --
              > stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21

              Victor M. Hernandez Maksimenko
              Director & CTO PlanetaSur
              victor@...
              www.planetasur.com
              Tel: (+58-212) 232.11.66
            • aslpt
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13 8:16 AM
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "kev0153" <kclark@h...> wrote:

                > Is this module on in the stock red hat 7.2 kernel? 2.4.9-21? Or do
                > need to recompile? My guess is that it is not becuse i cant
                modprobe
                > i8k.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Kevin

                It is not, but you can compile it from the i8kutils package.

                Alex
              • fortepianissimo
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 13 8:24 AM
                  Well the first thing I did after installing 7.2 is to rebuild my
                  kernel... so I really can't tell. But if you can't modprobe i8k it
                  probably means it's not built in. The module should be installed at

                  /lib/modules/{your_kernel_version}/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.o

                  Two options here: you can either rebuild your own kernel, or download
                  the source of the module to install by yourself. It's at:

                  http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/

                  HTH,

                  Ben

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "kev0153" <kclark@h...> wrote:
                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "fortepianissimo"
                  > <fortepianissimo@y...> wrote:
                  > -----SNIP>
                  > > make sure when compiling kernel you have turned on CONFIG_I8K.
                  > >
                  > -----SNIP>
                  > > Ben
                  >
                  > Is this module on in the stock red hat 7.2 kernel? 2.4.9-21? Or do i
                  > need to recompile? My guess is that it is not becuse i cant modprobe
                  > i8k.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Kevin
                • Stephen Lau
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 13 9:28 AM
                    hrm...my old desktop routinly ran at 70-90C (it was a celeron 300a overclocked
                    to 464 though... <g>).

                    most industrial parts are rated to run to at least 80C safely, so 60-75 is
                    definitely within tolerance.

                    -steve

                    --
                    stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
                  • yukonmystery
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 13 1:20 PM
                      Are these factory defaults or your personal settings after tweaking? I
                      haven't checked mine out yet.

                      I find it irritating when those fans come on, so when I'm not planning
                      on doing some heavy lifting, I boot on battery and then switch to AC
                      after the POST finishes. That way it boots into the lower setting.
                      Just taking advantage of the 815 chipset shortcoming!!!

                      Cory

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
                      > On AC, I have the left fan come on at 60, the right come on at 65,
                      the left
                      > goes to high at 70, and the both are high at 75.
                      >
                      > for battery, I have the same thing except 5 degrees hotter for both.
                      >
                      > -steve
                      >
                      > On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 02:17:56PM -0000, fortepianissimo wrote:
                      > > It's nicely packaged into one single rpm:
                      > >
                      > > http://enigma.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=601
                      > >
                      > > make sure when compiling kernel you have turned on CONFIG_I8K.
                      > >
                      > > (BTW my machine is I4100+BIOS A04 and it runs perfectly with all
                      bells
                      > > and whistles)
                      > >
                      > > Before running gkrellm remember "modprobe i8k", this will give you
                      > > /proc/i8k and you can cat it to see the info (including fan
                      status,
                      > > rotation speed, service tag, etc) in one line.
                      > >
                      > > Better yet you can use the included gkrellm plugin to either
                      > > automatically/manually control both of your fans. For automatic
                      mode
                      > > you can set up the control policy for both fans (above what temp
                      > > should the fans kick in, etc).
                      > >
                      > > One question: for those who are already using it, what are the
                      > > reasonable settings for the automatic fan control?
                      > >
                      > > Ben
                      > >

                      > --
                      > stephen lau :: [ldl@g...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id:
                      0x09E5CD21
                    • Dan Christensen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 13 5:52 PM
                        Victor Manuel Hernandez Maksimenko <victor@...> writes:

                        > isn't 60-75 C too hot?, is the temp reported by the i8k bios accurate?,

                        On my I4100, BIOS A03, with the BIOS in control of the fans, the BIOS
                        switches the right fan to low speed at 75 C. Up until that
                        temperature both fans are off. Once that fan comes on, it stays
                        on until the temperature drops to 60 C, which that fan is just
                        able to do under a full load in a cool room.

                        I'm assuming that this is reasonable behaviour since it's what Dell
                        put in the BIOS. It results in the fans running much less frequently
                        than with i8kmon. Also, it turns on the right fan before the left.
                        Others in this thread turn on the left first. Is there a reason to
                        use one or the other?

                        Dan
                      • Dan Christensen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 13 5:53 PM
                          On my wife's I4000 (BIOS A07), modprobe i8k fails with

                          /lib/modules/2.4.18pre2/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.o: init_module: No such device
                          Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
                          /lib/modules/2.4.18pre2/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18pre2/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.o failed
                          /lib/modules/2.4.18pre2/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.o: insmod i8k failed

                          Has anyone got this working?

                          --
                          Dan Christensen
                          jdc+news@...
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 13 8:44 PM
                            I'm using A04 on I4100. My observation is that using BIOS only BOTH
                            fans are turned on at a temperature above 80 C, and they won't shut
                            down until the temperature drops under 70 C (exact values vary).

                            Another interesting bit: BIOS seems to have finer-grained control over
                            the speed.

                            So far I've always observed that both fans are turned on together (by
                            BIOS). The left fan has a less noticeable sound (but a little
                            higher-pitched).

                            Another observation: gkrellm seems not reflect 100% what /proc/i8k
                            says. I've caught it reporting zero fan speed several times when
                            /proc/i8k reports non-zero fan speed (and I did hear the sound from
                            the fans).

                            A search from Intel website turns out that 100 c seems to be the
                            breaking point for Pentium III-M. The CPU will shut itself down at 101
                            C. I haven't tried it though. Anyone? :-P

                            Ben

                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Dan Christensen <jdc@u...> wrote:
                            > Victor Manuel Hernandez Maksimenko <victor@p...> writes:
                            >
                            > > isn't 60-75 C too hot?, is the temp reported by the i8k bios
                            accurate?,

                            > On my I4100, BIOS A03, with the BIOS in control of the fans, the BIOS
                            > switches the right fan to low speed at 75 C. Up until that
                            > temperature both fans are off. Once that fan comes on, it stays
                            > on until the temperature drops to 60 C, which that fan is just
                            > able to do under a full load in a cool room.
                            >
                            > I'm assuming that this is reasonable behaviour since it's what Dell
                            > put in the BIOS. It results in the fans running much less frequently
                            > than with i8kmon. Also, it turns on the right fan before the left.
                            > Others in this thread turn on the left first. Is there a reason to
                            > use one or the other?
                            >
                            > Dan
                          • klkinney
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 1, 2002
                              Setting up the fan control? details on the rpm - Question below
                              Have an i81K with A08 and both fans run all the time? I looked in the
                              BIOS and there was no indication of the CPU temp or blocks to check
                              temperature?

                              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
                              > On AC, I have the left fan come on at 60, the right come on at 65,
                              the left
                              > goes to high at 70, and the both are high at 75.
                              >
                              > for battery, I have the same thing except 5 degrees hotter for both.
                              >
                              > -steve
                              >
                              > On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 02:17:56PM -0000, fortepianissimo wrote:
                              > > It's nicely packaged into one single rpm:
                              > >
                              > > http://enigma.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=601
                              > >
                              > > make sure when compiling kernel you have turned on CONFIG_I8K.

                              ** Is the rpm edited to show that the CONFIG_I8K is turned on? Is it
                              set to 1 or on for example?

                              > > (BTW my machine is I4100+BIOS A04 and it runs perfectly with all
                              bells
                              > > and whistles)
                              > >
                              > > Before running gkrellm remember "modprobe i8k", this will give you
                              > > /proc/i8k and you can cat it to see the info (including fan
                              status,

                              ** If there is no i8k there from modprobe or checking /proc, is the
                              rpm -Uvh used to install it or -ivh?

                              > > rotation speed, service tag, etc) in one line.
                              > >
                              > > Better yet you can use the included gkrellm plugin to either
                              > > automatically/manually control both of your fans. For automatic
                              mode
                              > > you can set up the control policy for both fans (above what temp
                              > > should the fans kick in, etc).

                              **Is gKrekkm used to set up an application or run it in the background
                              from a prompt to start it? #./gkrellm &

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 1, 2002