Re: [linux-dell-laptops] X Server no longer works in Linux... (details follow)

  • Edwin Chiu
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2000
      "Peter B. West" wrote:

      > > > Edwin,
      > > >
      > > > Please explain "reooted into 2.2.17 kernel and X-Server starts w/o a
      > > > hitch, but screen is totally blank" in a little more detail.
      > >
      > > The X server starts and all the clients are running, but the screen is blank.
      > > I can tell this from looking at the running processes.
      > >
      > > Edwin
      >
      > One possibility is that the configuration you are running is clocking
      > the signal too fast for the screen to sync. I wouldn't run it again
      > until you sort this out.

      Yes, but why is it clocking it too fast? It seems to work now... i rebooted into
      dos about 3-4 times... just typed dir a lot and rebooted into linux and the same
      kernel fine again.

      Odd thing is this as well. Boot into linux (any kernel that worked previously) and
      with no "vga=" line in lilo.conf, and X-Server is blank....

      Start linux by adding the following at the lilo prompt: 2.2.17 vga=2 OR 2.2.16
      vga=2
      2.2.17 and 2.2.16 being names for the kernels...

      And now my X-Server comes up and the screen isn't blank...

      Isn't that odd....

      Regards,
      Edwin