Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 768

  • Tim Roberts
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
      On Tue, 05 Feb 2002 08:02:27 -0800, "---(rick moranis)---" wrote:

      >i'm not sure exactly what dri does or how it works, but it should take a
      >load off of your processor. i think it's basically 3d acceleration but it
      >uses your graphics card's processor instead of your cpu. right now flash
      >movies or blender browser plugins and xmms visuals use 100% of my processor
      >when they are displayed. it is my understanding that dri should reduce the
      >amount of cpu used for that.

      DRI is an XFree86 extension that allows OpenGL drivers to be plugged in.

      Traditionally, someone wanting OpenGL acceleration for their board had to write
      a complete driver, all the way from the OpenGL API down to the bare metal of
      the card. This was tedious, error-prone, and time-consuming. Plus, it didn't
      play all that well with X. A company called Precision Insights developed this
      intermediate layer called DRI that supplies most of the humdrum repetetive code
      one needs to support OpenGL, and interleaves it nicely with XFree86. Thus, all
      a vendor has to do is write a DRI driver, and between that and the DRI code in
      XFree86, *poof* you get OpenGL support.

      DRI does nothing at all for browser plugins, "Flash" movies or xmms visuals.
      It only helps OpenGL applications, such as 3D games.

      --
      - Tim Roberts, timr@...
      Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
        rats. i thought that was the reason my xmms visuals killed my processor. i
        guess i never noticed it on my desktop. the only reason i noticed on my
        laptop is because of the fans.

      • Chris Mauricio
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
          How could one tell if the USB port on a i2100 was USB 1.x or 2.0?
          I am nearly positive the 2100 was USB 1, but in case my luck was better this
          week, I'd like a way to find out..

          dmesg reveals

          usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
          usb.c: registered new driver hub
          usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.259 $ time 14:24:48 Jan 17 2002
          usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
          PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:07.2
          usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xfce0, IRQ 11
          usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
          usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
          hub.c: USB hub found
          hub.c: 2 ports detected
          usb-uhci.c: v1.251:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver

          line 4 intrigues me...

          Anyone?

          C.
        • Trevor Man
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
            Afraid not. That's always there. It's definitely not USB 2.0

            From usb-uhci.c
            /* CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HIGH_BANDWITH turns on Full Speed Bandwidth
            * Reclamation: feature that puts loop on descriptor loop when
            * there's some transfer going on. With FSBR, USB performance
            * is optimal, but PCI can be slowed down up-to 5 times, slowing down
            * system performance (eg. framebuffer devices).
            */
            #define CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HIGH_BANDWIDTH

            #ifdef CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HIGH_BANDWIDTH
            info("High bandwidth mode enabled");