Configure orinoco_cs for Orinoc/Lucent card RH 7.1 (2.4.12 kernel)

  • linux_newus
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2002
      Well I am a newbie.
      This is how I made orinoco_cs driver for Orinoco/Lucent Card under
      RH7.1 (kernel 2.4.12). I gathered a lot of info from this group so
      thoughI would post the things again for a newbie.

      Necessary Downloads
      ----------------
      1> Bug fixes in RH7.1 (from redhat.com website)
      2> pcmcia-cs-3.1.29.tar.gz
      3> hermes.conf
      4> wireless_tools.23.tar.gz

      STEPS
      ------
      1> Upgrade the kernel to 2.4.12 (not necessary, but i did it)
      Note : While setting configurations do NOT disable the
      PCMCIA/Cardbus support.If you disable it, then you may land up with
      the following errors when you try to do '/etc/rc.d/inti.d/pcmcia
      restart' during your final step inconfiguring card.

      Errors :
      Starting PCMCIA services: modules insmod: a module named pcmcia_core
      already
      exists
      /lib/modules/2.4.0-test8/pcmcia/yenta_socket.o: init_module: No such
      device
      Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
      including
      invalid IO or IRQ parameters
      /lib/modules/2.4.0-test8/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: operation not
      permitted
      Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
      including
      invalid IO or IRQ parameters
      cardmgr.

      I guess yenta_socket.o is module for CardBus support and it is not
      available since u disbled the Card Bus Support. But also dont want to
      compile the PCMCIA package (provided with the kernel). So select "m"
      (modular) for PCMCIA/CardBus. For the option below it, i.e CardBus
      Support, select "y". After compiling the kernel you can see the
      necessary modules in /lib/modules/2.4.12/kernel/drivers/pcmcia

      2> Apply the bug fixes
      $ rpm -Fvh *.rpm

      3> Unzip the wireless_tools.23.tar.gz and do
      $ make all
      $ make install

      Well, I got this error
      Error creating file "usr/local/include"
      I looked and found that "make install" was trying to pu a file in
      non-existent directory "/usr/local/include", so I created one and it
      worked fine.

      4> Unzip the pcmcia-cs-3.1.29.tar.gz in /usr/src/linux
      $ make config
      Accecpt the defualt settings while 'config'.

      $ make all
      $ make install

      5> Do these steps
      $ cd /usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.1.29
      $ make all (do compile orinoco_cs.c by either defining DO_ORINOCO or
      commenting 'ifdef DO_ORINOCO' in Makefike)

      $ make install

      This loads the modules into /lib/modules/2.4.12/pcmcia

      5> Move the hermes.conf into /etc/pcmcia.

      6> Edit the wireless.opts and comment the follwoing section
      #-------START SECTION TO REMOVE----------
      #*,*,*,*)
      # ;;
      #------END SECTION TO REMOVE-----------

      $ /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart

      Though the two beeps occured but LEDs didnt glow. The interface eth1
      was not "up" when I tried 'ifconfig'. The reason was that I forgot to
      delete wavelan2_cs.conf in /etc/pcmcia. This file was trying to load
      the module "wavelan2_cs" module, which was not present.( I took a long
      time to fugure out this)
      Once that was done two beeps occured and LEDs showed up (as brightly
      as sparkle in my eyes ;-)).....