Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Sound and KDE2

  • andy
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2002
      On Saturday 02 February 2002 02:25 am, you wrote:
      > On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:12:57AM -0500, andy wrote:
      > > This is really weird... I still can't isolate it... but after a while of
      > > running KDE, if I open XMMS to play a song, have it set to use OSS output
      > > (the only one that works) if I press play, nothing happens... no error
      > > msg, no freezing of xmms, no sound either, and the song does not advance.
      > > running mpg123 of the same file (let's say a 4 minute file) results in
      > > the file being played (no sound) in about 40 seconds or so...
      >
      > <snip>
      >
      > > if I stop KDE and restart KDE, usually sound returns... it is a really
      > > weird problem and it has been ticking me off since day one... (not enough
      > > to make me even THINK of going back to windows tho rest assured ;)
      >
      > I've been having similar problems, but without KDE - our problems may
      > be related. I also use 2.4.17 with the OSS sound drivers, and my
      > problems start when I use quake3. After quake3 quits, I lose ability
      > to get sound from sox, xmms, etc., with the exact same behavior in
      > xmms you described. Quake3, on the other hand, will still work a
      > second time. I have to rmmod and re-load the maestro3 module to get
      > sound again from those sources.

      that's exactly what I have to do... except in order to rmmod the maestro3
      drivers, I have to shutdown KDE :( a pain in de butt
      I hadn't thought about quakeIII being the problem... I'll try that out...
      > Perhaps ALSA can solve some of these issues. So for you other 2.4.17
      > people out there, can you reproduce these errors?
      >
      > Adam

    • chintaylors
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2002
        I've seen the same problem. For what its worth I think its a bug in
        xmms. I also use gqmpeg to play mp3s and it doesn't get stuck
        like xmms does. In fact when xmms gets stuck, I just switch to
        gqmpeg and it works fine without any reloading of the maestro3
        module. So I don't think its KDE2 thats failing, but I'm a
        long way from understanding what might be going wrong in xmms.
        - Greg

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Adam Lowry <aclowry@u...> wrote:

        > I've been having similar problems, but without KDE - our problems
        may
        > be related. I also use 2.4.17 with the OSS sound drivers, and my
        > problems start when I use quake3. After quake3 quits, I lose ability
        > to get sound from sox, xmms, etc., with the exact same behavior in
        > xmms you described. Quake3, on the other hand, will still work a
        > second time. I have to rmmod and re-load the maestro3 module to get
        > sound again from those sources.
        >
        > Perhaps ALSA can solve some of these issues. So for you other 2.4.17
        > people out there, can you reproduce these errors?
        >
        > Adam
      • Adam Lowry
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2002
          On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 16:05, chintaylors wrote:
          > I've seen the same problem. For what its worth I think its a bug in
          > xmms. I also use gqmpeg to play mp3s and it doesn't get stuck
          > like xmms does. In fact when xmms gets stuck, I just switch to
          > gqmpeg and it works fine without any reloading of the maestro3
          > module. So I don't think its KDE2 thats failing, but I'm a
          > long way from understanding what might be going wrong in xmms.
          > - Greg

          It's not xmms (or at least, not _just_ xmms). I just gave mpg321 and
          gqmpeg a try; same behavior. I'm thinking it must be a driver bug. Maybe
          I should take up driver debugging.. <shudder>

          Adam
        • andy
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2002
            On Monday 04 February 2002 09:08 pm, you wrote:
            > On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 16:05, chintaylors wrote:
            > > I've seen the same problem. For what its worth I think its a bug in
            > > xmms. I also use gqmpeg to play mp3s and it doesn't get stuck
            > > like xmms does. In fact when xmms gets stuck, I just switch to
            > > gqmpeg and it works fine without any reloading of the maestro3
            > > module. So I don't think its KDE2 thats failing, but I'm a
            > > long way from understanding what might be going wrong in xmms.
            > > - Greg
            >
            > It's not xmms (or at least, not _just_ xmms). I just gave mpg321 and
            > gqmpeg a try; same behavior. I'm thinking it must be a driver bug. Maybe
            > I should take up driver debugging.. <shudder>
            >
            > Adam

            Oh... Dear... LORD!!!
            ;)
            well, if you do, let me know... it'd be an interesting learning experience :)
            --Andrew