Re: [linux-dell-laptops] changing dell boot logo on C810 to something nice

  • ---(rick moranis)---
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
      lpp (linux progress patch) will do that but it's a real hassel. a new thing
      came out yesterday. i saw it on slashdot. it's actually an animation for
      lilo though.

    • michael carr
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2002
        my assumption tho was that once you chose an OS to boot that lilo would
        no longer be running, hence you would see demsg.

        am i wrong?

        mikey >;)

        --- "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@...> wrote:
        > lpp (linux progress patch) will do that but it's a real hassel. a new
        > thing
        > came out yesterday. i saw it on slashdot. it's actually an animation
        > for
        > lilo though.

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • ukjdtynsxr
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
          on dells site there is a file to change the logo on a inspiron 8100
          which has the same motherboard as the c810

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Thomas Graham <miguel@a...> wrote:
          > where can I get it ? I am interested about this ( Change to Thomas
          Graham logo, haha )

          http://messenger.msn.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
            if anyone gets this to work, please let me know!!

            mikey >;)

            --- ukjdtynsxr <ukjdtynsxr@...> wrote:
            > on dells site there is a file to change the logo on a inspiron 8100
            > which has the same motherboard as the c810
            >

            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Thomas Graham <miguel@a...> wrote:
            > > where can I get it ? I am interested about this ( Change to Thomas
            > Graham logo, haha )
            > > 1/31/02 4:07:15 PM, "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@h...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > To: linux-dell-laptops@y...
            > > >
            > > > From: "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@h...>
            > > > Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:07:15 -0800
            > > > Subject:Re: [linux-dell-laptops] changing dell boot logo on C810

            > > > something nice
            > > >

            > > > i looked for information on doing it on dells and nothing came
            > up. you have
            > > > to have their proprietary software to change the image i think.

            > > > Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger:
            > http://messenger.msn.com

            > Service.

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • ---(rick moranis)---
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2002
              I'm at my mom's house right now so i used her win98 machine to make a new
              bootdisk. i copied my files back so i'll try again tomorrow. here is my test
              image :)

              if this works i'll take the time to make a better one. this is just
              something i found on google.

            • andy
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2002
                On Thursday 31 January 2002 04:08 pm, you wrote:
                > that image is in the BIOS rom. To replace it you'd have to hack the
                > bios and replace the image. If you mess it up your laptop is then a
                > large paperweight with a 15" display. High stakes.
                >
                > Now is it possible to change the demsg screen at boot to something GUI
                > and pretty? that would probibly be an easier hack considering that tux
                > already appears in the top left corner.
                >
                > as a cool side note, the number of tux at the top of the screen is
                > dependant on the number of processors :) a friend of mine put together
                > a dual cpu box, and he got 2 tux. lucky bastard :P
                I have 2 tux's on my desktop too :) no pun intended ;)

                > mikey >;)
                >
                > --- "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@...> wrote:
                > > i looked for information on doing it on dells and nothing came up.
                > > you have
                > > to have their proprietary software to change the image i think.

                > http://auctions.yahoo.com

              • ---(rick moranis)---
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2002
                  my desktop is a dual athalon

                  athalon mp 1.4ghz
                  tyan tiger mp board
                  pc2100 256 ECC DDR ram

                  all for 550 dollars.

                  i made a mistaken when purchasing the heatsink though. i thought i was
                  getting a 5000 rpm fan so i was surprised to see it registering at 8500rpm
                  in the bios. i look at the box and saw that the 5000 and 7000 rpm fans ship
                  in the same box. the way to tell the difference is by a little dot on the
                  corresponding square. the 5000rpm fan is registered at 30 decibles noise
                  output, so i can only guess what the 7000 rpm fan spinning at 8500 rpm's is.
                  it's currently the loudest computer i've ever heard. oh, and that might also
                  have to do with it running on my desk without a case. i only had 600 dollars
                  and couldn't afford a case that could house the mother board (it's large).
                  this is even more DIY than my computer in a shoebox running freebsd.