inspiron 8100

  • seanus
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
      I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
      linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
      rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
      install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
      so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
      for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
      install the distro thats going to give me the least
      trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
      I should install?

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • ---(rick moranis)---
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
        i get weird mouse movements and stuff like that, but it's because my mouse
        pad is sensitive. if i move or bump my laptop suddenly, it gets pressure on
        the mouse pad and thinks i'm pushing it down.

      • remdeless
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2002
          I have the same kind of problem...I've been trying to change the
          mouse setting and use different kind of mice, but nothing could be
          fixed. This is always happen no matter using Ms products, Textpad,
          or Jbuilder ..and that really bothers me!

          Jane

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Marc Swanson <marcswanson@m...>
          wrote:
          > For a while now I've been experiencing an annoying problem that I
          never could
          > pinpoint when using my i8k. Every once in a while.. especially
          when
          > composing emails I will be typing along and all the sudden some
          text will get
          > hightlighted and my next keystroke wipes out my message (!).
          Thank god for
          > undo but still this is VERY annoying (just happened. Damnit!).
          >
          > Anyway, I held down the shift key for a while today while writing
          a paper and
          > thinking of my next word when I noticed my cursor do a little 1/4"
          dance on
          > the screen! It doesn't appear to happen all of the time so it
          might have
          > something to do with system temperature but I'm just guessing.
          >
          > Anyone else experience phantom mouse behavior? What should I
          do??? The
          > laptop is certainly still under warranty....
          >
          > Thanks
          >

          > --
          > -------------------------
          > Marc Swanson
          > MSwanson Consulting
          >
          > Phone: (603)868-1721
          > Fax: (603)868-1730
          > Mobile: (603)512-1267
          >
          > mswanson@m...
          > http://www.mswanson.com
          > -------------------------
        • voha2
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2002
            The only difficulty with installing Slackware on a laptop was getting
            the X to work (unresolved externas while compling kernel driver).
            I've battled for 2 days but I could not compile Linux drivers from
            nVidia. I've switched to Mandrake 8.1 and it works just fine. Install
            your nVidia drivers and you are all set to go. Just make sure that
            you have 2nd CD so you can install Kernel source. Else the drivers
            will not compile.
            If you liked Slack, you may also like Debian. Give it a try. apt-get
            system is avesome - upgrades are a brease.

            voha

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
            > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
            > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
            > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
            > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
            > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
            > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
            > install the distro thats going to give me the least
            > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
            > I should install?

            > http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • skeeterpickle
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2002
              The first thing I did when I got my I8.1K was wipe out Windows XP and
              install Slackware 8.0 - installation was a breeze - absolutely no
              problems whatsoever... once installation was finished, I needed to
              download and install the NVIDIA_KERNEL and NVIDIA_GLX drivers which I
              didn't know about before hand, so you may find it useful to download
              these and have them ready to go (you'll need to install the kernel one
              whenever you compile a custom kernel....) (www.nvidia.com)

              apt-get bloze, slak rules.

              -Tim

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "voha2" <voha2@y...> wrote:
              > The only difficulty with installing Slackware on a laptop was getting
              > the X to work (unresolved externas while compling kernel driver).
              > I've battled for 2 days but I could not compile Linux drivers from
              > nVidia. I've switched to Mandrake 8.1 and it works just fine. Install
              > your nVidia drivers and you are all set to go. Just make sure that
              > you have 2nd CD so you can install Kernel source. Else the drivers
              > will not compile.
              > If you liked Slack, you may also like Debian. Give it a try. apt-get
              > system is avesome - upgrades are a brease.
              >
              > voha
              >

              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
              > > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
              > > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
              > > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
              > > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
              > > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
              > > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
              > > install the distro thats going to give me the least
              > > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
              > > I should install?

              > > Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions!
              > > http://auctions.yahoo.com
            • pbsriniv
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 18, 2002
                I am running SuSE 7.2, Installed it only a week ago..

                I first had to shrink windows XP partition through partition magic,
                and also leave enough space at the front the drive for the suspend to
                disk partition, as SuSE install program cant handle ntfs partitions..

                The automatic Install worked flawlessly after that. After reading all
                the FAQ's I did not choose the X-Windows, and instead chose the text
                mode..

                I then downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from the site, and followed the
                procedure to install them. Also had to Install xfree-4.2.0.. I had
                lots of problems setting up the screen afterwards and finally
                manually edited the xFreeConfig file and had to set the mode line for
                mu 1400x1050 display.. Systems Works after that..

                I still have a problem where kde hangs, when I pull the plug out or
                switch to battery. Also have no power management (that is suspend)..
                Also Fonts look terrible when I switched to aliased fonts.

                - Srinivas

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
                > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
                > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
                > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
                > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
                > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
                > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
                > install the distro thats going to give me the least
                > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
                > I should install?

                > http://auctions.yahoo.com
              • yukonmystery
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 18, 2002
                  Hanging problem will be fixed if you use my config file as mentioned
                  in the previous post. It is do to the APIC compiled into the kernel.

                  Did Steve not mention this in the FAQ?

                  Cory

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pbsriniv" <pbsriniv@y...> wrote:
                  > I am running SuSE 7.2, Installed it only a week ago..
                  >
                  > I first had to shrink windows XP partition through partition magic,
                  > and also leave enough space at the front the drive for the suspend to
                  > disk partition, as SuSE install program cant handle ntfs partitions..
                  >
                  > The automatic Install worked flawlessly after that. After reading all
                  > the FAQ's I did not choose the X-Windows, and instead chose the text
                  > mode..
                  >
                  > I then downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from the site, and followed the
                  > procedure to install them. Also had to Install xfree-4.2.0.. I had
                  > lots of problems setting up the screen afterwards and finally
                  > manually edited the xFreeConfig file and had to set the mode line for
                  > mu 1400x1050 display.. Systems Works after that..
                  >
                  > I still have a problem where kde hangs, when I pull the plug out or
                  > switch to battery. Also have no power management (that is suspend)..
                  > Also Fonts look terrible when I switched to aliased fonts.
                  >
                  > - Srinivas
                  >
                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
                  > > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
                  > > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
                  > > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
                  > > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
                  > > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
                  > > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
                  > > install the distro thats going to give me the least
                  > > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
                  > > I should install?

                  > > Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions!
                  > > http://auctions.yahoo.com
                • Stephen Lau
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 18, 2002
                    i believe i did...