Re: [linux-dell-laptops] jumpy mouse problem when holding down "shift". Anyone?

  • Marc Swanson
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
      > No need to trade in your laptop...
      > it does that... It's recalibrating the pointing stick (It dosent
      > happen as often with touchpad if ever)

      I don't ever use the pointing stick. Just the touchpad.

      > unfortunately... my experience is that you really just have to live with
      > it...

      bummer. It can be a serious PITA especially when I'm typing away and I loose
      half my work. Nice to know that I'm not imagining things though.

      Thanks for the info.

      --
      -------------------------
      Marc Swanson

      Phone: (603)868-1721
      Fax: (603)868-1730
      Mobile: (603)512-1267

      mswanson@...
      http://www.mswanson.com
      -------------------------
    • andy
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
        On Saturday 02 February 2002 12:56 am, you wrote:
        > > No need to trade in your laptop...
        > > it does that... It's recalibrating the pointing stick (It dosent
        > > happen as often with touchpad if ever)
        >
        > I don't ever use the pointing stick. Just the touchpad.
        >
        > > unfortunately... my experience is that you really just have to live with
        > > it...
        >
        > bummer. It can be a serious PITA especially when I'm typing away and I
        > loose half my work. Nice to know that I'm not imagining things though.
        >

        > Thanks for the info.

        Just some more info/suggestions if you are interested...
        for the past few days I've been using an external USB mouse (in addition to
        the built-in stuff but I don't use those, they're just not disabled) and I
        have yet to see the evil "mouse-pointer dance" that we all know and hate :)

        and it's not when you press shift...
        it's whenever you are doing anything important where moving the mouse cursor
        will do harm... i.e. scrolling on webpages, fragging people in quake III etc.

        --Andrew
      • seanus
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
          I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
          linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
          rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
          install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
          so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
          for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
          install the distro thats going to give me the least
          trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
          I should install?

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • ---(rick moranis)---
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
            i get weird mouse movements and stuff like that, but it's because my mouse
            pad is sensitive. if i move or bump my laptop suddenly, it gets pressure on
            the mouse pad and thinks i'm pushing it down.

          • remdeless
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2002
              I have the same kind of problem...I've been trying to change the
              mouse setting and use different kind of mice, but nothing could be
              fixed. This is always happen no matter using Ms products, Textpad,
              or Jbuilder ..and that really bothers me!

              Jane

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Marc Swanson <marcswanson@m...>
              wrote:
              > For a while now I've been experiencing an annoying problem that I
              never could
              > pinpoint when using my i8k. Every once in a while.. especially
              when
              > composing emails I will be typing along and all the sudden some
              text will get
              > hightlighted and my next keystroke wipes out my message (!).
              Thank god for
              > undo but still this is VERY annoying (just happened. Damnit!).
              >
              > Anyway, I held down the shift key for a while today while writing
              a paper and
              > thinking of my next word when I noticed my cursor do a little 1/4"
              dance on
              > the screen! It doesn't appear to happen all of the time so it
              might have
              > something to do with system temperature but I'm just guessing.
              >
              > Anyone else experience phantom mouse behavior? What should I
              do??? The
              > laptop is certainly still under warranty....
              >
              > Thanks
              >

              > --
              > -------------------------
              > Marc Swanson
              > MSwanson Consulting
              >
              > Phone: (603)868-1721
              > Fax: (603)868-1730
              > Mobile: (603)512-1267
              >
              > mswanson@m...
              > http://www.mswanson.com
              > -------------------------
            • voha2
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2002
                The only difficulty with installing Slackware on a laptop was getting
                the X to work (unresolved externas while compling kernel driver).
                I've battled for 2 days but I could not compile Linux drivers from
                nVidia. I've switched to Mandrake 8.1 and it works just fine. Install
                your nVidia drivers and you are all set to go. Just make sure that
                you have 2nd CD so you can install Kernel source. Else the drivers
                will not compile.
                If you liked Slack, you may also like Debian. Give it a try. apt-get
                system is avesome - upgrades are a brease.

                voha

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
                > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
                > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
                > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
                > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
                > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
                > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
                > install the distro thats going to give me the least
                > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
                > I should install?

                > http://auctions.yahoo.com
              • skeeterpickle
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2002
                  The first thing I did when I got my I8.1K was wipe out Windows XP and
                  install Slackware 8.0 - installation was a breeze - absolutely no
                  problems whatsoever... once installation was finished, I needed to
                  download and install the NVIDIA_KERNEL and NVIDIA_GLX drivers which I
                  didn't know about before hand, so you may find it useful to download
                  these and have them ready to go (you'll need to install the kernel one
                  whenever you compile a custom kernel....) (www.nvidia.com)

                  apt-get bloze, slak rules.

                  -Tim

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "voha2" <voha2@y...> wrote:
                  > The only difficulty with installing Slackware on a laptop was getting
                  > the X to work (unresolved externas while compling kernel driver).
                  > I've battled for 2 days but I could not compile Linux drivers from
                  > nVidia. I've switched to Mandrake 8.1 and it works just fine. Install
                  > your nVidia drivers and you are all set to go. Just make sure that
                  > you have 2nd CD so you can install Kernel source. Else the drivers
                  > will not compile.
                  > If you liked Slack, you may also like Debian. Give it a try. apt-get
                  > system is avesome - upgrades are a brease.
                  >
                  > voha
                  >

                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
                  > > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
                  > > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
                  > > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
                  > > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
                  > > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
                  > > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
                  > > install the distro thats going to give me the least
                  > > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
                  > > I should install?

                  > > Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions!
                  > > http://auctions.yahoo.com
                • pbsriniv
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 18, 2002
                    I am running SuSE 7.2, Installed it only a week ago..

                    I first had to shrink windows XP partition through partition magic,
                    and also leave enough space at the front the drive for the suspend to
                    disk partition, as SuSE install program cant handle ntfs partitions..

                    The automatic Install worked flawlessly after that. After reading all
                    the FAQ's I did not choose the X-Windows, and instead chose the text
                    mode..

                    I then downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from the site, and followed the
                    procedure to install them. Also had to Install xfree-4.2.0.. I had
                    lots of problems setting up the screen afterwards and finally
                    manually edited the xFreeConfig file and had to set the mode line for
                    mu 1400x1050 display.. Systems Works after that..

                    I still have a problem where kde hangs, when I pull the plug out or
                    switch to battery. Also have no power management (that is suspend)..
                    Also Fonts look terrible when I switched to aliased fonts.

                    - Srinivas

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
                    > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
                    > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
                    > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
                    > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
                    > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
                    > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
                    > install the distro thats going to give me the least
                    > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
                    > I should install?

                    > http://auctions.yahoo.com
                  • yukonmystery
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 18, 2002
                      Hanging problem will be fixed if you use my config file as mentioned
                      in the previous post. It is do to the APIC compiled into the kernel.

                      Did Steve not mention this in the FAQ?

                      Cory

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pbsriniv" <pbsriniv@y...> wrote:
                      > I am running SuSE 7.2, Installed it only a week ago..
                      >
                      > I first had to shrink windows XP partition through partition magic,
                      > and also leave enough space at the front the drive for the suspend to
                      > disk partition, as SuSE install program cant handle ntfs partitions..
                      >
                      > The automatic Install worked flawlessly after that. After reading all
                      > the FAQ's I did not choose the X-Windows, and instead chose the text
                      > mode..
                      >
                      > I then downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from the site, and followed the
                      > procedure to install them. Also had to Install xfree-4.2.0.. I had
                      > lots of problems setting up the screen afterwards and finally
                      > manually edited the xFreeConfig file and had to set the mode line for
                      > mu 1400x1050 display.. Systems Works after that..
                      >
                      > I still have a problem where kde hangs, when I pull the plug out or
                      > switch to battery. Also have no power management (that is suspend)..
                      > Also Fonts look terrible when I switched to aliased fonts.
                      >
                      > - Srinivas
                      >
                      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
                      > > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
                      > > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
                      > > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
                      > > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
                      > > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
                      > > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
                      > > install the distro thats going to give me the least
                      > > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
                      > > I should install?

                      > > Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions!
                      > > http://auctions.yahoo.com
                    • Stephen Lau
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 18, 2002
                        i believe i did...