jumpy mouse problem when holding down "shift". Anyone?

  • Marc Swanson
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
      For a while now I've been experiencing an annoying problem that I never could
      pinpoint when using my i8k. Every once in a while.. especially when
      composing emails I will be typing along and all the sudden some text will get
      hightlighted and my next keystroke wipes out my message (!). Thank god for
      undo but still this is VERY annoying (just happened. Damnit!).

      Anyway, I held down the shift key for a while today while writing a paper and
      thinking of my next word when I noticed my cursor do a little 1/4" dance on
      the screen! It doesn't appear to happen all of the time so it might have
      something to do with system temperature but I'm just guessing.

      Anyone else experience phantom mouse behavior? What should I do??? The
      laptop is certainly still under warranty....

      Thanks

      --
      -------------------------
      Marc Swanson

      Phone: (603)868-1721
      Fax: (603)868-1730
      Mobile: (603)512-1267

      mswanson@...
      http://www.mswanson.com
      -------------------------
    • andy
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
        On Friday 01 February 2002 11:29 pm, you wrote:
        > For a while now I've been experiencing an annoying problem that I never
        > could pinpoint when using my i8k. Every once in a while.. especially when
        > composing emails I will be typing along and all the sudden some text will
        > get hightlighted and my next keystroke wipes out my message (!). Thank god
        > for undo but still this is VERY annoying (just happened. Damnit!).
        >
        > Anyway, I held down the shift key for a while today while writing a paper
        > and thinking of my next word when I noticed my cursor do a little 1/4"
        > dance on the screen! It doesn't appear to happen all of the time so it
        > might have something to do with system temperature but I'm just guessing.
        >
        > Anyone else experience phantom mouse behavior? What should I do??? The
        > laptop is certainly still under warranty....

        No need to trade in your laptop...
        it does that... It's recalibrating the pointing stick (It dosent happen as
        often with touchpad if ever)
        unfortunately... my experience is that you really just have to live with it...

        (wow... I actually knew the answer to that one :D
        I'm extatic!!!)
        --Andrew
        > Thanks
      • Marc Swanson
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
          > No need to trade in your laptop...
          > it does that... It's recalibrating the pointing stick (It dosent
          > happen as often with touchpad if ever)

          I don't ever use the pointing stick. Just the touchpad.

          > unfortunately... my experience is that you really just have to live with
          > it...

          bummer. It can be a serious PITA especially when I'm typing away and I loose
          half my work. Nice to know that I'm not imagining things though.

          Thanks for the info.

          --
          -------------------------
          Marc Swanson

          Phone: (603)868-1721
          Fax: (603)868-1730
          Mobile: (603)512-1267

          mswanson@...
          http://www.mswanson.com
          -------------------------
        • andy
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
            On Saturday 02 February 2002 12:56 am, you wrote:
            > > No need to trade in your laptop...
            > > it does that... It's recalibrating the pointing stick (It dosent
            > > happen as often with touchpad if ever)
            >
            > I don't ever use the pointing stick. Just the touchpad.
            >
            > > unfortunately... my experience is that you really just have to live with
            > > it...
            >
            > bummer. It can be a serious PITA especially when I'm typing away and I
            > loose half my work. Nice to know that I'm not imagining things though.
            >

            > Thanks for the info.

            Just some more info/suggestions if you are interested...
            for the past few days I've been using an external USB mouse (in addition to
            the built-in stuff but I don't use those, they're just not disabled) and I
            have yet to see the evil "mouse-pointer dance" that we all know and hate :)

            and it's not when you press shift...
            it's whenever you are doing anything important where moving the mouse cursor
            will do harm... i.e. scrolling on webpages, fragging people in quake III etc.

            --Andrew
          • seanus
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
              I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
              linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
              rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
              install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
              so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
              for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
              install the distro thats going to give me the least
              trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
              I should install?

              http://auctions.yahoo.com
            • ---(rick moranis)---
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
                i get weird mouse movements and stuff like that, but it's because my mouse
                pad is sensitive. if i move or bump my laptop suddenly, it gets pressure on
                the mouse pad and thinks i'm pushing it down.

              • remdeless
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2002
                  I have the same kind of problem...I've been trying to change the
                  mouse setting and use different kind of mice, but nothing could be
                  fixed. This is always happen no matter using Ms products, Textpad,
                  or Jbuilder ..and that really bothers me!

                  Jane

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Marc Swanson <marcswanson@m...>
                  wrote:
                  > For a while now I've been experiencing an annoying problem that I
                  never could
                  > pinpoint when using my i8k. Every once in a while.. especially
                  when
                  > composing emails I will be typing along and all the sudden some
                  text will get
                  > hightlighted and my next keystroke wipes out my message (!).
                  Thank god for
                  > undo but still this is VERY annoying (just happened. Damnit!).
                  >
                  > Anyway, I held down the shift key for a while today while writing
                  a paper and
                  > thinking of my next word when I noticed my cursor do a little 1/4"
                  dance on
                  > the screen! It doesn't appear to happen all of the time so it
                  might have
                  > something to do with system temperature but I'm just guessing.
                  >
                  > Anyone else experience phantom mouse behavior? What should I
                  do??? The
                  > laptop is certainly still under warranty....
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >

                  > --
                  > -------------------------
                  > Marc Swanson
                  > MSwanson Consulting
                  >
                  > Phone: (603)868-1721
                  > Fax: (603)868-1730
                  > Mobile: (603)512-1267
                  >
                  > mswanson@m...
                  > http://www.mswanson.com
                  > -------------------------
                • voha2
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2002
                    The only difficulty with installing Slackware on a laptop was getting
                    the X to work (unresolved externas while compling kernel driver).
                    I've battled for 2 days but I could not compile Linux drivers from
                    nVidia. I've switched to Mandrake 8.1 and it works just fine. Install
                    your nVidia drivers and you are all set to go. Just make sure that
                    you have 2nd CD so you can install Kernel source. Else the drivers
                    will not compile.
                    If you liked Slack, you may also like Debian. Give it a try. apt-get
                    system is avesome - upgrades are a brease.

                    voha

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
                    > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
                    > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
                    > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
                    > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
                    > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
                    > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
                    > install the distro thats going to give me the least
                    > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
                    > I should install?

                    > http://auctions.yahoo.com
                  • skeeterpickle
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 2, 2002
                      The first thing I did when I got my I8.1K was wipe out Windows XP and
                      install Slackware 8.0 - installation was a breeze - absolutely no
                      problems whatsoever... once installation was finished, I needed to
                      download and install the NVIDIA_KERNEL and NVIDIA_GLX drivers which I
                      didn't know about before hand, so you may find it useful to download
                      these and have them ready to go (you'll need to install the kernel one
                      whenever you compile a custom kernel....) (www.nvidia.com)

                      apt-get bloze, slak rules.

                      -Tim

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "voha2" <voha2@y...> wrote:
                      > The only difficulty with installing Slackware on a laptop was getting
                      > the X to work (unresolved externas while compling kernel driver).
                      > I've battled for 2 days but I could not compile Linux drivers from
                      > nVidia. I've switched to Mandrake 8.1 and it works just fine. Install
                      > your nVidia drivers and you are all set to go. Just make sure that
                      > you have 2nd CD so you can install Kernel source. Else the drivers
                      > will not compile.
                      > If you liked Slack, you may also like Debian. Give it a try. apt-get
                      > system is avesome - upgrades are a brease.
                      >
                      > voha
                      >

                      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
                      > > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
                      > > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
                      > > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
                      > > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
                      > > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
                      > > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
                      > > install the distro thats going to give me the least
                      > > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
                      > > I should install?

                      > > Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions!
                      > > http://auctions.yahoo.com
                    • pbsriniv
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 18, 2002
                        I am running SuSE 7.2, Installed it only a week ago..

                        I first had to shrink windows XP partition through partition magic,
                        and also leave enough space at the front the drive for the suspend to
                        disk partition, as SuSE install program cant handle ntfs partitions..

                        The automatic Install worked flawlessly after that. After reading all
                        the FAQ's I did not choose the X-Windows, and instead chose the text
                        mode..

                        I then downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from the site, and followed the
                        procedure to install them. Also had to Install xfree-4.2.0.. I had
                        lots of problems setting up the screen afterwards and finally
                        manually edited the xFreeConfig file and had to set the mode line for
                        mu 1400x1050 display.. Systems Works after that..

                        I still have a problem where kde hangs, when I pull the plug out or
                        switch to battery. Also have no power management (that is suspend)..
                        Also Fonts look terrible when I switched to aliased fonts.

                        - Srinivas

                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
                        > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
                        > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
                        > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
                        > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
                        > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
                        > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
                        > install the distro thats going to give me the least
                        > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
                        > I should install?

                        > http://auctions.yahoo.com
                      • yukonmystery
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 18, 2002
                          Hanging problem will be fixed if you use my config file as mentioned
                          in the previous post. It is do to the APIC compiled into the kernel.

                          Did Steve not mention this in the FAQ?

                          Cory

                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pbsriniv" <pbsriniv@y...> wrote:
                          > I am running SuSE 7.2, Installed it only a week ago..
                          >
                          > I first had to shrink windows XP partition through partition magic,
                          > and also leave enough space at the front the drive for the suspend to
                          > disk partition, as SuSE install program cant handle ntfs partitions..
                          >
                          > The automatic Install worked flawlessly after that. After reading all
                          > the FAQ's I did not choose the X-Windows, and instead chose the text
                          > mode..
                          >
                          > I then downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from the site, and followed the
                          > procedure to install them. Also had to Install xfree-4.2.0.. I had
                          > lots of problems setting up the screen afterwards and finally
                          > manually edited the xFreeConfig file and had to set the mode line for
                          > mu 1400x1050 display.. Systems Works after that..
                          >
                          > I still have a problem where kde hangs, when I pull the plug out or
                          > switch to battery. Also have no power management (that is suspend)..
                          > Also Fonts look terrible when I switched to aliased fonts.
                          >
                          > - Srinivas
                          >
                          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., seanus <sean901us@y...> wrote:
                          > > I just brought a new a new inspiron 8100. I read some
                          > > linux laptop howto. The only docs I found where for
                          > > rehat 7.2, and debian. They said that you can't
                          > > install slackware, on the laptop. I haven't tried yet
                          > > so I don't know if thats true! Slackware is my choice
                          > > for linux. But I'm open to any distro. I just want to
                          > > install the distro thats going to give me the least
                          > > trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions on what distro
                          > > I should install?

                          > > Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions!
                          > > http://auctions.yahoo.com
                        • Stephen Lau
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 18, 2002
                            i believe i did...