Problem with Win/Linux dual boot - Erased the boot off Win Partition

  • wickdgin@beer.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
       I am currently dual booting between Red Hat 7.2
      and Windows ME using Grub. I accedently installed
      Grub onto hda1 '(hd0,1)' - my Windows partition -
      when I was fooling around with the grub settings
      ( I always used lilo up until now).

      So obviously now when I go to boot Windows all I
      see is "rootnoverify(hd0,1) ; chainloader +1 ;
      GRUB".

       A Windows ME boot disk that I had made off a
      friends computer doesn't help me at all - I lost
      mine.

      Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the
      Windows boot back onto my Win partition, so that
      I don't have to start from scratch? Thanks very
      much in advance.

      **Sigh** I really got to stop fooling around
      with this computer

      -Thanks again

      Beer Mail, brought to you by your friends at beer.com.

    • wickdgin
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2002
        I have two ideas on what can be done to fix this problem without the
        loss of data:

        -1- Install Windows over the exhisting partition. However I would
        need a way to hide my Linux partition(s) from the install because the
        installation won't let me go forward unless I format my Linux
        Partitions to FAT32

        -2- Hexedit and replace the 0 sector of my Win partition with a copy
        of another computer (running Win ME). This in theory should work, but
        it quite risky in the fact that a wrong move could corrupt the disk-
        but if I find no other way it makes sence, because I would have to
        wipe everything out and start over anyway.

        I have all my windows files/programs backed up - it would just take a
        bit of time to get everything back up and running again. What is more
        of a concern is that my Linux files have not been recently backedup
        and my CD Burner isn't working properly at the moment.

      • wickdgin
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2002
          Ok, I've tried out the Hexedit using the sector from a friends comp..
          it didn't work. I would like to try it again though so if anyone with
          a similar setup as me (Inspiron 8000, 20gig HD, running Win Me &
          Redhat 7.2) would be so kind as to send me a hex copy of the 0 sector
          of their windows partition it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

          And still if anyone has any ideas on other ways to fix this without
          starting from scratch please reply.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2002
            HAHA, I fixed it - figured out that sector-6 was used as a backup
            ccopy for sector-0. I copied sector-6 to sector-0 and it worked like
            acharm. Well I learned quite a few things out of this, so I guess it
            was all worth not being able to boot into Windows for a few days- I
            don't really use it much anyway.

          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2002
              why don't you just do "fdisk /mbr" from a windows boot disk?

              -steve

              --
              stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
            • Chris Mauricio
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2002
                well-

                shoot me down if I'm off base, but here goes.

                Could you make a linux boot disk, if you have access to another box, edit the
                config. Boot to linux, get your CD burner working...? At least then youd be
                able to save your stuff before starting over

                As far as HOW to do all that, hey- I figure a guy who
                hex edits zero sectors is light-centuries beyond me.

                Another thought is to use a Win98 cdrom to format the MBR - but I am really
                shooting from the hip here I have no idea what that would do to a system
                booting 2 OS', so, please consult an expert before considering that advice.
                I figure then you can redo grub or lilo after..?

                again, please consider any other options and abandon all hope before trying
                my suggestion..

                C.

              • Chris Mauricio
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2002
                  sorry - I should have said fdisk the MBR- not format- tired.

                  C.