XF86Config (Was: Re: Insp4100, NVIDIA and Red Hat 7.2)

  • pdiwexler
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
      Try this one. I haven't tested it, but it should work okay.
      There are a couple of other 1400x1050 modelines, but I believe
      you need the 60Hz version.

      If it doesn't work, try starting up with:

      startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5

      and post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file. HTH.

      Dan

      Section "Files"
      RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
      FontPath "unix/:7100"
      EndSection

      Section "Module"
      # Load "GLcore"
      Load "dbe"
      Load "extmod"
      Load "fbdevhw"
      Load "pex5"
      # Load "dri"
      Load "glx"
      Load "pex5"
      Load "record"
      Load "xie"
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Keyboard0"
      Driver "keyboard"
      Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
      Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
      Option "XkbLayout" "us"
      #Option "XkbVariant" ""
      #Option "XkbOptions" ""
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Mouse0"
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
      Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "LCD"
      VendorName "Dell"
      ModelName "SXGA+"
      HorizSync 30-100
      VertRefresh 60
      Option "dpms"
      # 1400x1050 @ 60Hz, 65.8 kHz hsync
      Modeline "1400x1050" 129 1400 1464 1656 1960
      1050 1051 1054 1100 +HSync +VSync
      EndSection

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "NV AGP"
      VendorName "nvidia"
      Driver "nvidia"
      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
      EndSection

      Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen0"
      Device "NV AGP"
      Monitor "LCD"
      DefaultColorDepth 24

      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Modes "1400x1050"
      EndSubsection
      EndSection
    • e_broyles
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2002
        No go. Here is my log file:

        XFree86 Version 4.1.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.1.0-3) / X Window
        System
        Release Date: 2 June 2001
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
        Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.7-0.13.1smp i686 [ELF]
        Build Host: stripples.devel.redhat.com

        Module Loader present
        (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 2 10:52:47
        2002
        (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
        Parse error on line 1 of section Files in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
        "
        " is not a valid keyword in this section.
        (EE) Problem parsing the config file
        (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

        Fatal server error:
        no screens found

        When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
        the full server output, not just the last messages.
        This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
        Please report problems to xfree86@....

        Is this just as simple as updating X? I thought that the 4.1.0 was
        the current stable release, and that this card worked there?

        Thanks again,

        Edward

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pdiwexler" <wex@f...> wrote:
        > Try this one. I haven't tested it, but it should work okay.
        > There are a couple of other 1400x1050 modelines, but I believe
        > you need the 60Hz version.
        >
        > If it doesn't work, try starting up with:
        >
        > startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5
        >
        > and post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file. HTH.
        >
        > Dan
      • e_broyles
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
          Is there anyone out there who can point me in a direction? This is
          my log file.

          Thanks

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "e_broyles" <e_broyles@y...> wrote:
          > No go. Here is my log file:
          >
          > XFree86 Version 4.1.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.1.0-3) / X Window
          > System
          > (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6510)
          > Release Date: 2 June 2001
          > If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
          > newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
          > reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
          > Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.7-0.13.1smp i686 [ELF]
          > Build Host: stripples.devel.redhat.com
          >
          > Module Loader present
          > (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 2 10:52:47
          > 2002
          > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
          > Parse error on line 1 of section Files in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
          > "
          > " is not a valid keyword in this section.
          > (EE) Problem parsing the config file
          > (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
          >
          > Fatal server error:
          > no screens found
          >
          > When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
          > the full server output, not just the last messages.
          > This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
          > Please report problems to xfree86@x...
          >

          > Is this just as simple as updating X? I thought that the 4.1.0 was
          > the current stable release, and that this card worked there?
          >
          > Thanks again,
          >
          > Edward
          >

          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pdiwexler" <wex@f...> wrote:
          > > Try this one. I haven't tested it, but it should work okay.
          > > There are a couple of other 1400x1050 modelines, but I believe
          > > you need the 60Hz version.
          > >
          > > If it doesn't work, try starting up with:
          > >
          > > startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5
          > >
          > > and post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file. HTH.
          > >
          > > Dan
        • Adam Lowry
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
            On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 11:56, e_broyles wrote:
            > Is there anyone out there who can point me in a direction? This is
            > my log file.
            >
            > Thanks

            Uh.. did you look at the config file? Your log has a pretty explicit
            error:

            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "e_broyles" <e_broyles@y...> wrote:
            > > No go. Here is my log file:
            <snip>
            > > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
            > > Parse error on line 1 of section Files in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
            > > "
            > > " is not a valid keyword in this section.
            > > (EE) Problem parsing the config file
            > > (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

            See? It's a parse error. Look at line one; maybe you had a cut and paste
            error.

            Adam
          • e_broyles
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 7, 2002
              Aha! It was due to the fact that I downloaded the Xconfig with
              windows...dos2unix is your friend.

              However, I still have issues, only now they appear to be more
              directly rpm or nvidia related.

              $ startx

              crashes. can't load the NVidia driver. look for it. doesn't seem
              to have been loaded. $ rpm -ivh driver2313 etc.rpm It tells me
              that the driver has already been installed. Hrm. I try to
              uninstall it. It tells me that the rpm is not installed. ok. try
              to install again. same thing...already installed. repeat a few
              times.
            • Adam Lowry
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 7, 2002
                On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 00:59, e_broyles wrote:
                > However, I still have issues, only now they appear to be more
                > directly rpm or nvidia related.
                >
                > $ startx
                >
                > crashes. can't load the NVidia driver. look for it. doesn't seem
                > to have been loaded. $ rpm -ivh driver2313 etc.rpm It tells me
                > that the driver has already been installed. Hrm. I try to
                > uninstall it. It tells me that the rpm is not installed. ok. try
                > to install again. same thing...already installed. repeat a few
                > times.

                Run /sbin/lsmod . Is "NVdriver" loaded? If not, (as root) run modprobe
                NVdriver. If that's successful, try the startx again.

                If this is the problem, edit /etc/modules.conf or conf.modules or
                whatever it's called and add NVdriver. That'll load the module on boot.

                Adam
              • Dr. Robert W. Current
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 8, 2002
                  K, first download the Nvidia kernel and GLX modules as .src.rpm and then

                  cd /usr/src/RPM/SPECS/
                  rpm -ba *

                  Then when it writes the new drivers as .i686.rpm (or .i386.rpm) do this
                  in the directory you have the rpm's (if you build them yourself to be
                  sure they are against your current kernel, etc, they will be in
                  /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i686/ or i386 in the case of Red Hat).

                  rpm -Uvh *.rpm --replacefiles --replacepkgs

                  I've found that you need to freshen up the install of the driver after
                  installing a new kernel sometimes....

                  Rob C.