XF86Config (Was: Re: Insp4100, NVIDIA and Red Hat 7.2)

  • e_broyles
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
      Thanks, redownloaded the file and it seems to have installed fine.
      Now if I can just get the XF86Config file set up properly, I am good
      to go. I tried the ones on the group, but they gave me errors in the
      cursory attempts last night. If anyone has one that works on a
      Insp4100, NVIDIA GE2 32mb, at SXGA+, I would love to see it.

      IIRC, the errors that I got told me that it could not find a screen.

      I tried these files:

      I8100_1400x1050_16bit
      I8000_1400x1050_24bit

      Thanks again, y'all

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
      > It looks like your download got corrupted....the MD5 sum of the RPM
      doesn't
      > match up w/ what it's supposed to be.
      >
      > -steve
      >
      > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 06:21:34AM -0000, e_broyles wrote:
      > > Inp 4100, nvidia ge2 32 mb, rh 7.2. P3 1Ghz
      > >

      > > Followed the instructions from NVIDIA:
      > >
      > > 1) rpm -ivh the kernel (the i386)
      > >
      > > That seemed to go ok
      > >
      > > then pt 2
      > >
      > > rpm -ivh the GLX part
      > >
      > > Got something like the following in error:
      > >
      > > error: unpacking of archive failed on
      > > file /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.2313; 3c578a93: cpio: MD5 sum
      mismatch

      > > I did make sure that the versions were the same.
      > >
      > > any help would be hugely appreciated
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Edward
      > >

      > --
      > stephen lau :: [ldl@g...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id:
      0x09E5CD21
    • pdiwexler
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
        Try this one. I haven't tested it, but it should work okay.
        There are a couple of other 1400x1050 modelines, but I believe
        you need the 60Hz version.

        If it doesn't work, try starting up with:

        startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5

        and post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file. HTH.

        Dan

        Section "Files"
        RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath "unix/:7100"
        EndSection

        Section "Module"
        # Load "GLcore"
        Load "dbe"
        Load "extmod"
        Load "fbdevhw"
        Load "pex5"
        # Load "dri"
        Load "glx"
        Load "pex5"
        Load "record"
        Load "xie"
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Keyboard0"
        Driver "keyboard"
        Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option "XkbLayout" "us"
        #Option "XkbVariant" ""
        #Option "XkbOptions" ""
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse0"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        EndSection

        Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "LCD"
        VendorName "Dell"
        ModelName "SXGA+"
        HorizSync 30-100
        VertRefresh 60
        Option "dpms"
        # 1400x1050 @ 60Hz, 65.8 kHz hsync
        Modeline "1400x1050" 129 1400 1464 1656 1960
        1050 1051 1054 1100 +HSync +VSync
        EndSection

        Section "Device"
        Identifier "NV AGP"
        VendorName "nvidia"
        Driver "nvidia"
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
        EndSection

        Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device "NV AGP"
        Monitor "LCD"
        DefaultColorDepth 24

        Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1400x1050"
        EndSubsection
        EndSection
      • e_broyles
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2002
          No go. Here is my log file:

          XFree86 Version 4.1.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.1.0-3) / X Window
          System
          Release Date: 2 June 2001
          If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
          newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
          reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
          Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.7-0.13.1smp i686 [ELF]
          Build Host: stripples.devel.redhat.com

          Module Loader present
          (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 2 10:52:47
          2002
          (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
          Parse error on line 1 of section Files in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
          "
          " is not a valid keyword in this section.
          (EE) Problem parsing the config file
          (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

          Fatal server error:
          no screens found

          When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
          the full server output, not just the last messages.
          This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
          Please report problems to xfree86@....

          Is this just as simple as updating X? I thought that the 4.1.0 was
          the current stable release, and that this card worked there?

          Thanks again,

          Edward

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pdiwexler" <wex@f...> wrote:
          > Try this one. I haven't tested it, but it should work okay.
          > There are a couple of other 1400x1050 modelines, but I believe
          > you need the 60Hz version.
          >
          > If it doesn't work, try starting up with:
          >
          > startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5
          >
          > and post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file. HTH.
          >
          > Dan
        • e_broyles
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
            Is there anyone out there who can point me in a direction? This is
            my log file.

            Thanks

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "e_broyles" <e_broyles@y...> wrote:
            > No go. Here is my log file:
            >
            > XFree86 Version 4.1.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.1.0-3) / X Window
            > System
            > (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6510)
            > Release Date: 2 June 2001
            > If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
            > newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
            > reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
            > Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.7-0.13.1smp i686 [ELF]
            > Build Host: stripples.devel.redhat.com
            >
            > Module Loader present
            > (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 2 10:52:47
            > 2002
            > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
            > Parse error on line 1 of section Files in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
            > "
            > " is not a valid keyword in this section.
            > (EE) Problem parsing the config file
            > (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
            >
            > Fatal server error:
            > no screens found
            >
            > When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
            > the full server output, not just the last messages.
            > This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
            > Please report problems to xfree86@x...
            >

            > Is this just as simple as updating X? I thought that the 4.1.0 was
            > the current stable release, and that this card worked there?
            >
            > Thanks again,
            >
            > Edward
            >

            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pdiwexler" <wex@f...> wrote:
            > > Try this one. I haven't tested it, but it should work okay.
            > > There are a couple of other 1400x1050 modelines, but I believe
            > > you need the 60Hz version.
            > >
            > > If it doesn't work, try starting up with:
            > >
            > > startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5
            > >
            > > and post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file. HTH.
            > >
            > > Dan
          • Adam Lowry
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
              On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 11:56, e_broyles wrote:
              > Is there anyone out there who can point me in a direction? This is
              > my log file.
              >
              > Thanks

              Uh.. did you look at the config file? Your log has a pretty explicit
              error:

              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "e_broyles" <e_broyles@y...> wrote:
              > > No go. Here is my log file:
              <snip>
              > > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
              > > Parse error on line 1 of section Files in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
              > > "
              > > " is not a valid keyword in this section.
              > > (EE) Problem parsing the config file
              > > (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

              See? It's a parse error. Look at line one; maybe you had a cut and paste
              error.

              Adam
            • e_broyles
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 7, 2002
                Aha! It was due to the fact that I downloaded the Xconfig with
                windows...dos2unix is your friend.

                However, I still have issues, only now they appear to be more
                directly rpm or nvidia related.

                $ startx

                crashes. can't load the NVidia driver. look for it. doesn't seem
                to have been loaded. $ rpm -ivh driver2313 etc.rpm It tells me
                that the driver has already been installed. Hrm. I try to
                uninstall it. It tells me that the rpm is not installed. ok. try
                to install again. same thing...already installed. repeat a few
                times.
              • Adam Lowry
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 7, 2002
                  On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 00:59, e_broyles wrote:
                  > However, I still have issues, only now they appear to be more
                  > directly rpm or nvidia related.
                  >
                  > $ startx
                  >
                  > crashes. can't load the NVidia driver. look for it. doesn't seem
                  > to have been loaded. $ rpm -ivh driver2313 etc.rpm It tells me
                  > that the driver has already been installed. Hrm. I try to
                  > uninstall it. It tells me that the rpm is not installed. ok. try
                  > to install again. same thing...already installed. repeat a few
                  > times.

                  Run /sbin/lsmod . Is "NVdriver" loaded? If not, (as root) run modprobe
                  NVdriver. If that's successful, try the startx again.

                  If this is the problem, edit /etc/modules.conf or conf.modules or
                  whatever it's called and add NVdriver. That'll load the module on boot.

                  Adam
                • Dr. Robert W. Current
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 8, 2002
                    K, first download the Nvidia kernel and GLX modules as .src.rpm and then

                    cd /usr/src/RPM/SPECS/
                    rpm -ba *

                    Then when it writes the new drivers as .i686.rpm (or .i386.rpm) do this
                    in the directory you have the rpm's (if you build them yourself to be
                    sure they are against your current kernel, etc, they will be in
                    /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i686/ or i386 in the case of Red Hat).

                    rpm -Uvh *.rpm --replacefiles --replacepkgs

                    I've found that you need to freshen up the install of the driver after
                    installing a new kernel sometimes....

                    Rob C.