Dual boot: LILO won't boot windows 2000 / nothing happens

  • jer_lacoste
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1 9:49 AM
      I have installed a dual boot Debian 3.0/Windows 2000 on my Inspiron
      8100.

      Now my partitioned disk looks like the following
      #fdisk -l
      disk /dev/hda 255 heads, 63 sectors, 5836 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

      Device Boot Start End Id System Notes

      /dev/hda1 1 71 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive S2D partition
      /dev/hda2 75 2478 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
      /dev/hda3 72 74 83 Linux /boot
      /dev/hda5 75 105 82 Linux swap
      /dev/hda6 * 106 181 83 Linux /
      /dev/hda7 182 691 b Win95 FAT32 w2k partition
      /dev/hda8 692 1177 83 Linux /usr
      /dev/hda9 1178 1262 83 Linux /var
      /dev/hda10 1263 2478 83 Linux /home

      [unpartitioned space around > 20 Go]

      I first installed windows 2000. For that I first made a dummy
      partition of around 600 Mo, then a second one of 4Go. I installed
      windows 2000 on the second one. The reason I made the first dummy
      partition was to reserve some space at the beginning of the drive in
      order to put the S2D partition and the Linux boot partition.
      Windows formated both partition as FAT (the second one as FAT32).
      I had to have a first partition as I found out that my w2k install
      disk didn't like to install on a partition if the first primary
      partition was not FAT. and thus I was not able to install w2k if I
      first partitioned the disk with all Linux and Windows partitions.

      Anyway, w2k installed without trouble, I Rebooted and booted a linux
      floppy. I deleted the first FAT partition.
      I then rebooted with the Dell s2d boot disk, and created a s2d
      partition at the beginning of the disk. (i.e. replacing the first 580
      Mo of my freshly deleted partition.

      This done, I proceeded with a normal install of Debian from the
      floppies, then net install. Everything went OK and I ended up with a
      partition table as indicated at the beginning of this email.

      Debian installed, I modified my /etc/lilo.conf to add a link to the
      windows partition.

      #cat /etc/lilo.conf
      lba32
      boot=/dev/hda
      root=/dev/hda6
      install=/boot/boot.b
      map=/boot/map
      delay=30
      vga=normal
      default=Linux
      image=/vmlinuz
      label=Linux
      read-only
      image=/vmlinuz.old
      label=OLDLinux
      read-only
      other=dev/hda7
      label=win

      Now the problem: each time I try to boot w2k, LILO hangs.
      boot: win
      _ // the cursor hangs there, nothing happens, no activity

      I tried to pass the debug parameter (win debug) but it doesn't seem to
      do anything (it does nothing with Linux neither).

      If I mount my Windows partition from Linux, I see the following
      #ls -a /mnt/win
      . .. Documents and Settings Program Files winnt

      I do not have the usual boot.ini neither the ntdetect.com.
      I am quite sure that I had a pagefile.sys file before, but it is not
      there anymore...

      Any idea of what went wrong and how should I solve it?

      Cheers
    • jer_lacoste
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2 2:35 AM
        Somebody notified me of a typo in my former post:
        the line
        other=dev/hda7
        should be read, of course,
        other=/dev/hda7

        I am not using the laptop to connect to the internet at home, so I had
        to copy this lilo.conf by hand. But if I had made that mistake in
        lilo.conf, lilo would not have executed correctly. That's not the problem.

        In the mean time I tried many things in the Windows recovery console,
        such as reset the boot and reset the MBR (I don't remember the command
        line names).

        These didn't work and I had to use a boot disk to be able to use LILO
        to reset the MBR to at least boot linux.

        My problem is that I do not know exactly what is wrong so I have
        trouble to proceed in finding a solution.

        As I didn't have an w2k ERD (st¤%¤pid me), I am trying to create one
        using advices from: http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3200/rh3200.htm

        If I manage, I will update you.

        In the meantime any help greatly appreciated as I would like to have
        this machine set up before the end of the weekend!