UXGA on i4100 with 32MB NVidia GeForce2Go?

  • pdiwexler
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
      Has anyone gotten UXGA (1600x1200) working on an i4100 with
      a 32MB NVidia GeForce2Go?

      It would seem that EDID is reporting incorrect information
      (you must use "startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5 to see this).
      When I add the "IgnoreEDID" option to the NVidia driver section
      of my XF86Config-4 file, I get a screenful of garbage.

      After exploring the other tips and troublshooting guides to
      no avail, it seems like my next option is to manually configure
      a new Modeline. Despite the deprecated nature of modelines,
      it seems as if the NVidia driver is still using the modelines.
      Does this seem like the right path?

      If so, I'll need the technical information on this LCD monitor.
      Does anyone have the specs for the 1600x1200 i4100 display?

      I've run into this EDID problem with the NVidia drivers before
      using a wide-format CRT monitor and it was eventually fixed with
      the proper modeline. If anyone has a working Modeline for the
      i4100, please let me know. I've tried the standard 60Hz 1600x1200
      modeline and it doesn't work, which seems strange to me.

      I've updated to XF86 4.2 and I'm using the latest (1.0-2314 kernel
      and 1.0-2313 glx) NVidia drivers. I had to build the drivers
      from the source to match the RH7.2 kernel. Same problems with
      XF864.1.

      I can get 1400x1050 working with the top screen duplicated in
      a strip at the bottom and a blank column on the right of the
      monitor using the standard setup, but this is unacceptible.

      Oh, it also seems like the NVidia linux discussion group at
      nvnews (http://www.nvnews.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=29)
      isn't working. Can other people see this page?

      Thanks for any help,

      Daniel Wexler

      Here's the relavent portion of my XF86 log file with the EDID
      information. I can post the rest of this file, or my config
      files, if that helps.

      (II) NVIDIA(0): --- EDID Information for Display 0 ---
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Manufacturer: NVD Model: 302 Serial#: 2
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Year: 1999 Week: 28
      (II) NVIDIA(0): EDID Version: 1.2
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Digital Display Input
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Max H-Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 30 vert.: 23
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Gamma: 2.88
      (II) NVIDIA(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color
      Display
      (II) NVIDIA(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
      (II) NVIDIA(0): redX: 0.600 redY: 0.342 greenX: 0.295 greenY: 0.570
      (II) NVIDIA(0): blueX: 0.147 blueY: 0.111 whiteX: 0.312 whiteY:
      0.328
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
      (II) NVIDIA(0): clock: 108.0 MHz Image Size: 300 x 228 mm
      (II) NVIDIA(0): h_active: 1400 h_sync: 1448 h_sync_end 1560
      h_blank_end 1688 h_border: 0
      (II) NVIDIA(0): v_active: 1050 v_sync: 1051 v_sync_end 1054
      v_blanking: 1066 v_border: 0
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Ranges: V min: 60 V max: 60 Hz, H min: 30 H max:
      100 kHz, PixClock max 120 MHz
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Serial No: 000000000001
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Monitor name: NVIDIA_SXGA
      (II) NVIDIA(0): --- End of EDID Information for Display 0 ---
      (II) NVIDIA(0): EDID reported horizontal maximum for Display 0 : 1400
      (II) NVIDIA(0): EDID reported vertical maximum for Display 0 : 1050
    • davidfelsenthal
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
        I know this is not really helpful, but ....
        I just finished a few hours beating my head into an Inspiron 4100
        with NVidia UXGA (1600x1200.)
        1400x1050 with a weird repeating bottom and right is the best so far.
        It seems to be more than just a modeline issue. I don't know enough
        about the internals of the LCD to go much farther. I have been
        wrestling with the NVdriver, not nv.

        I did disable EDID as suggested in the nvidia readme and that helped.
        The reported data is quite wrong.

        I have not given up.

        David

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
          > I just finished a few hours beating my head into an Inspiron 4100
          > with NVidia UXGA (1600x1200.)
          > 1400x1050 with a weird repeating bottom and right is the best so
          far.
          > It seems to be more than just a modeline issue. I don't know
          enough
          > about the internals of the LCD to go much farther. I have been
          > wrestling with the NVdriver, not nv.
          >
          > I did disable EDID as suggested in the nvidia readme and that
          helped.
          > The reported data is quite wrong.

          Right, this is exactly what I experienced as well. I have
          also been sent a number of private emails that have confirmed
          the same problem. To date, I have not heard of anyone who
          has gotten 1600x1200 working on the i4100.

          I have also posted this information to the NVidia newsgroup,
          bugs list and XPert XFree86.org mailing list. No replies
          as of yet.

          > I have not given up.

          Neither have I!

          Why do you think it is more than a modeline issue?

          Dan
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
            On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 06:55:20PM -0000, pdiwexler wrote:
            > Right, this is exactly what I experienced as well. I have
            > also been sent a number of private emails that have confirmed
            > the same problem. To date, I have not heard of anyone who
            > has gotten 1600x1200 working on the i4100.

            Might want to add the caveat that this is for G2Go users... I have
            1600x1200 working on my i4100 w/ the ATI card.

            > I have also posted this information to the NVidia newsgroup,
            > bugs list and XPert XFree86.org mailing list. No replies
            > as of yet.

            Hope you guys get it resolved...let me know when you do so I can add it to
            the FAQ.

            -steve

            --
            stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
          • pdiwexler
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
              > Might want to add the caveat that this is for G2Go users... I have
              > 1600x1200 working on my i4100 w/ the ATI card.

              Correct. (I had that in the title, but not in the body, sorry)

              The problem only seems to be with i4100 G2Go with a native
              resolution of 1600x1200. All other i4100 models work fine
              and I think i8100 models work fine even with G2Go at UXGA.

              Dell confirmed that the LCD monitor is a Sharp model, but
              they don't have the model number. I have not found the exact
              model on the Sharp or Dell websites. The only information
              I have so far is in this press release:

              http://www.sharp.co.jp/sc/gaiyou/news-e/000717.html

              Which does not include any reference to a 14.1" UXGA LCD.

              Before I can create modelines, I need the monitor specs
              including the refresh rates, bandwith and so forth. For
              now, I'm going to start by guessing. I wish I knew that
              by creating the proper modeline, this would be solved.
              I have a sneaky feeling that the problem is in the NVidia
              drivers, which, of course I can't fix.

              If modelines don't work, I might try hacking the XF86 nv
              driver. Anyone out there have any experience with that?

              Dan
            • James Hirschorn
              • Stephen Lau
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                  On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 08:27:44PM -0000, pdiwexler wrote:
                  > The problem only seems to be with i4100 G2Go with a native
                  > resolution of 1600x1200. All other i4100 models work fine
                  > and I think i8100 models work fine even with G2Go at UXGA.
                  >
                  > Dell confirmed that the LCD monitor is a Sharp model, but
                  > they don't have the model number. I have not found the exact
                  > model on the Sharp or Dell websites. The only information
                  > I have so far is in this press release:

                  It's a Sharp LQ150U1LH22
                  if that helps any. :)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
                    Here's my thinking.
                    First, I'm only a little familiar with the LCD interface and modern
                    video chip hardware.

                    Secondly, The system is not here so I am going from memory.

                    Here's what I see. In any mode using the NVdriver there are areas
                    below and to the right that are anomalous. When the particular mode
                    is sync'ed the areas below and right duplicate the top and left.
                    When the mode is not sync'ed these areas freeze, but the main part of
                    the display shows typical sync problem artifacts.

                    The LCD, unlike a CRT, maintains information unless it is
                    overwritten. The data from the video contoller is clocked into the
                    panel one pixel at a time. At the end of a horizontal scan line a
                    sync pulse starts the process again, but from the left edge, one row
                    down.
                    At the end of the vertical scan, the whole thing starts again at the
                    top left corner.

                    What bothers me is that I have never seen any sync artifacts in the
                    bottom or right hand areas of the screen.

                    Has anyone seen artifacts ine these areas on a 4100 UXGA with NVidia?

                    I too would like to kno the P/N for the display. I do not think it is
                    a Sharp LQ150U1LH22 as that is a 15" part number, as far as I know.

                    I'll probably try the nv driver again on Monday.

                    David

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pdiwexler" <wex@f...> wrote:
                    snip...

                    > Why do you think it is more than a modeline issue?
                    >

                    > Dan
                  • Stephen Lau
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
                      Doh - you're right, sorry - I read you the part # from my I8000 - I can
                      find the part # for my I4100 when I get to work tommorrow...

                      -steve

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
                        No success yet. I've tried to construct a variety of modelines
                        using a number of different tools. I am able to generate different
                        types of anomolous behaviors, but I always have the top and right
                        regions behaving similarly. Ie. with the top strip repeated on the
                        bottom and the right column black. I should also note that this
                        behavior remains after you exit X and return to text mode.

                        Just for future reference, here's a short list of
                        modeline generators:

                        From the NVida README, conforming to the GTF timing standard, from
                        Andy Ritger at NVidia (I'm guessing that the NV cards all confrom to
                        GTF):

                        http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/xpert/2001-October/012070.html

                        A nice simple web-page calculator version that does not conform to
                        GTF:

                        http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html

                        An even simpler web-page calculator:

                        http://zaph.com/Modeline/

                        Dan
                      • rwcurrent
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pdiwexler" <wex@f...> wrote:
                          > Has anyone gotten UXGA (1600x1200) working on an i4100 with
                          > a 32MB NVidia GeForce2Go?

                          Short answer is, you have to play around a lot with the Modelines to
                          get them right. And be sure that you are using the right resolution
                          in the config (do you have a 1600x1200 entry down at the bottom?).
                          That's it, it's tricky, but that's it. Trial and error works,
                          better to find someones working lines, but I'd do it myself just
                          taking a few suggested lines and trying them out... Line at a time.

                          I had it working on a i8100, I doubt it differs much. I returned
                          the laptop for a SXGA+ model, because I was very disapointed. Now,
                          I'm much happier, because I can only run 1400x1050 max anyhow and
                          still read it, and at this resolution the native SXGA+ monitor is
                          WAY SHARPER!

                          Dell has got a lot of complaints AFAIK about their high resolution
                          displays. They only look good in the "native" (highest) resolution,
                          and look really fuzzy otherwise. My i8100 has a SXGA+ I'm happy
                          with now, and I just ordered a i4100 with only a XGA display (with
                          only 14.1", I'd go blind trying to run 1600x1200! Your eyes must be
                          a heck of a lot better than mine.... I still got the 32M Nvidia
                          GeForce2Go card (drive external monitors well) but WOW... your
                          really going to be looking at TINY TEXT....

                          I guess from what you have wrote, you already figured out how to get
                          XFree 4.2 installed, and the Nvidia drivers? (if not, install
                          XFree, and compile the Nvidia drivers from the source they have on
                          the site, and don't use the binaries, works better IMHO).

                          As far as the configuration, you pretty much have to edit your
                          XF86Config-4 yourself (make sure your editing the -4 one, not the
                          regular one). I'm maybe not reading you clearly, but the Nvidia
                          drivers are just drivers, not X. XFree86 uses the Nvidia driver
                          insted of one of the XFree ones, but your still running XFree86, and
                          you still need a configuration file that is set up right. I'm
                          guessing from what you wrote, you got that far already though.
                          (more or less writing this in the hopes it won't keep getting asked
                          so often, and more people will figure it out).

                          Looks like you have the kernal module loaded too, right? Looks like
                          it from what you wrote. After that, it's all the XF86Config-4 file,
                          and it's not obvious. Do some web searchs for "XF86Config 1600x1200
                          Dell" or similar (IBM in place of Dell might help you find some
                          Modelines too) and see what other people are using.

                          It looks like your on the right track, just not there yet ;-) I'm
                          90% sure I had it working, but I only kept the laptop for a week
                          before returning it.

                          Looks like others have it working also:
                          http://www.m2n.com/projects/mlmps/laptop/dell/latitude/c810/
                          I don't use debian on my laptop, so I can't say exactly what the
                          little config ap is doing there, but... he didn't mention any
                          problems.

                          This guy had problems with bpp but not resolution:
                          http://web.mit.edu/iye/www/dell/

                          Another guy:
                          http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/201/2001/7/0/6261111/

                          Keep an eye on:
                          http://www.dell.com/us/en/esg/topics/linux_video.htm
                        • pdiwexler
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
                            Thanks for the tips on the modelines. I'm still working on it.

                            > Your eyes must be
                            > a heck of a lot better than mine.... I still got the 32M Nvidia
                            > GeForce2Go card (drive external monitors well) but WOW... your
                            > really going to be looking at TINY TEXT....

                            Well magazine text is probably almost double the dpi on
                            the laptop, and I don't have any problem reading magazines!
                            If you set up your fonts and window manager settings correctly,
                            ie. large fonts, the resulting images are much easier to
                            read than low resolution characters. It is actually much
                            *better* for your eyes!

                            Dan
                          • pdiwexler
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
                              > Looks like others have it working also:

                              Thanks for the links, but unfortunately, this problem is specific to
                              the i4100 with a GeForce2Go with a native resolution of UXGA. Other
                              Dell UXGA displays work fine. The links you mention are good
                              examples for those other setups, but not the i4100, unfortunately. :(

                              Dan
                            • mickeyboa
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 10, 2002
> [...]
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): blueX: 0.147 blueY: 0.111 whiteX: 0.312 whiteY:
                                > 0.328
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): clock: 108.0 MHz Image Size: 300 x 228 mm
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): h_active: 1400 h_sync: 1448 h_sync_end 1560
                                > h_blank_end 1688 h_border: 0
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): v_active: 1050 v_sync: 1051 v_sync_end 1054
                                > v_blanking: 1066 v_border: 0
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): Ranges: V min: 60 V max: 60 Hz, H min: 30 H max:
                                > 100 kHz, PixClock max 120 MHz
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): Serial No: 000000000001
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): Monitor name: NVIDIA_SXGA
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): --- End of EDID Information for Display 0 ---
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): EDID reported horizontal maximum for Display 0 : 1400
                                > (II) NVIDIA(0): EDID reported vertical maximum for Display 0 : 1050

                                The vert refresh range should be 50-90 to run at those high
                                resolutions. i would post my working XF86Config-4 , but how do you do
                                attachments on this site ?
                                I use i8100 with the same chipset and rh7.2 if I had a email
                                to send a working xf86config-4 to.
                                mickeyboa@...
                                jim tate