Re: [linux-dell-laptops] About Inspiron Screens & Resolutions

  • Frank Wales
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
      > The latest Inspiron specifications state that I can choose an 14.1
      > inch SXGA+ screen with 1400x1050 resolution. If anyone has this
      > configuration already, I'd like to know if that's true, or It's more
      > like what a friend of mine has: A Compaq laptop with 1024x768
      > capability, but an 800x600 screen.

      I currently have an Inspiron 4100, which I ordered with a 1600x1200 LCD,
      and the screen really is that resolution. The pixels are *really* small,
      and some people actually have trouble reading text on it (I like
      small text, because I want as much information on the screen as possible,
      and my eyesight is still fine).

      This would lead me to expect that the 1400x1050 was also really that
      resolution, and not some lower-res screen, which I hope someone else
      will confirm.
      --
      Frank Wales [frank@...]
    • jsc3@gtf.org
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
        > > The latest Inspiron specifications state that I can choose an 14.1
        > > inch SXGA+ screen with 1400x1050 resolution. If anyone has this
        > > configuration already, I'd like to know if that's true, or It's more
        > > like what a friend of mine has: A Compaq laptop with 1024x768
        > > capability, but an 800x600 screen.
        >
        > I currently have an Inspiron 4100, which I ordered with a 1600x1200 LCD,
        > and the screen really is that resolution. The pixels are *really* small,
        > and some people actually have trouble reading text on it (I like
        > small text, because I want as much information on the screen as possible,
        > and my eyesight is still fine).
        >
        > This would lead me to expect that the 1400x1050 was also really that
        > resolution, and not some lower-res screen, which I hope someone else
        > will confirm.

        The Dell laptop screens are actually the resolution they state. I have
        an I8000 with a 1400x1050 screen, and that is the "native resolution".
        If you go for less resolution (ie 1024x768) to get bigger text size or
        something, then the screen tends to look fuzzy since it has to fake that
        resolution on a higher resolution screen, and the way LCDs do this is
        entirely different than the way an analog monitor does this. My wife
        has an I4000 with a 1024x768 screen, and that is the actually resolution
        as well. She could have gotten it with the 1400x1050, but after seeing
        mine at that resolution, she opted to save money and get the lower
        resolution screen. You might want to look at one of the higher
        resolution screens before ordering one, if you can. If you don't
        want to use the native resolution mode, it makes no sense to spend
        more on a 1400x1050 screen just to run it at 1024x768 and have a worse
        display than if you had saved your money and ordered a 1024x768 display
        in the first place. However, if you like the higher resolution mode,
        then I highly recommend the 1400x1050 - I feel like I should have gone
        for 1600x1200 personally, but that's just because a 1280x1024 VMware
        session does not quite fit on one 1400x1050 screen.

        --
        John Cronin
      • ---(rick moranis)---
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
          their resolution reports are accurate. that's one of the main reasons i
          bought my laptop.if you fill your desktop up with stuff (windows) i'd
          recommend the 15 inch (1600x1200 resolution) monitor. i'd run at 2000+
          resolution if this coul dhandle it. it's really clear and it's not hard to
          see at all.

        • ---(rick moranis)---
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
            the screens are designed to run at their maximum resolution or a equivalent
            variant of it.