About Inspiron Screens & Resolutions

  • sagittarius_wpd
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002

      I'm from Chile and I wish to buy an Inspiron laptop soon. I have a
      question regarding screens and their resolutions.

      The latest Inspiron specifications state that I can choose an 14.1
      inch SXGA+ screen with 1400x1050 resolution. If anyone has this
      configuration already, I'd like to know if that's true, or It's more
      like what a friend of mine has: A Compaq laptop with 1024x768
      capability, but an 800x600 screen.

      Thanx in advanced for any replies. Bye.
    • Frank Wales
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
        > The latest Inspiron specifications state that I can choose an 14.1
        > inch SXGA+ screen with 1400x1050 resolution. If anyone has this
        > configuration already, I'd like to know if that's true, or It's more
        > like what a friend of mine has: A Compaq laptop with 1024x768
        > capability, but an 800x600 screen.

        I currently have an Inspiron 4100, which I ordered with a 1600x1200 LCD,
        and the screen really is that resolution. The pixels are *really* small,
        and some people actually have trouble reading text on it (I like
        small text, because I want as much information on the screen as possible,
        and my eyesight is still fine).

        This would lead me to expect that the 1400x1050 was also really that
        resolution, and not some lower-res screen, which I hope someone else
        will confirm.
        --
        Frank Wales [frank@...]
      • jsc3@gtf.org
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
          > > The latest Inspiron specifications state that I can choose an 14.1
          > > inch SXGA+ screen with 1400x1050 resolution. If anyone has this
          > > configuration already, I'd like to know if that's true, or It's more
          > > like what a friend of mine has: A Compaq laptop with 1024x768
          > > capability, but an 800x600 screen.
          >
          > I currently have an Inspiron 4100, which I ordered with a 1600x1200 LCD,
          > and the screen really is that resolution. The pixels are *really* small,
          > and some people actually have trouble reading text on it (I like
          > small text, because I want as much information on the screen as possible,
          > and my eyesight is still fine).
          >
          > This would lead me to expect that the 1400x1050 was also really that
          > resolution, and not some lower-res screen, which I hope someone else
          > will confirm.

          The Dell laptop screens are actually the resolution they state. I have
          an I8000 with a 1400x1050 screen, and that is the "native resolution".
          If you go for less resolution (ie 1024x768) to get bigger text size or
          something, then the screen tends to look fuzzy since it has to fake that
          resolution on a higher resolution screen, and the way LCDs do this is
          entirely different than the way an analog monitor does this. My wife
          has an I4000 with a 1024x768 screen, and that is the actually resolution
          as well. She could have gotten it with the 1400x1050, but after seeing
          mine at that resolution, she opted to save money and get the lower
          resolution screen. You might want to look at one of the higher
          resolution screens before ordering one, if you can. If you don't
          want to use the native resolution mode, it makes no sense to spend
          more on a 1400x1050 screen just to run it at 1024x768 and have a worse
          display than if you had saved your money and ordered a 1024x768 display
          in the first place. However, if you like the higher resolution mode,
          then I highly recommend the 1400x1050 - I feel like I should have gone
          for 1600x1200 personally, but that's just because a 1280x1024 VMware
          session does not quite fit on one 1400x1050 screen.

          --
          John Cronin
        • ---(rick moranis)---
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
            their resolution reports are accurate. that's one of the main reasons i
            bought my laptop.if you fill your desktop up with stuff (windows) i'd
            recommend the 15 inch (1600x1200 resolution) monitor. i'd run at 2000+
            resolution if this coul dhandle it. it's really clear and it's not hard to
            see at all.

          • ---(rick moranis)---
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
              the screens are designed to run at their maximum resolution or a equivalent
              variant of it.