XFree86 on Inspiron 5000e

  • khaled@sgi.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2000
      Has anyone managed to get X working on the 5000e? I have had no
      success at all. I have the 16MB ATI Mobility 128 chipset and the SXGA
      display and have tried both XFree86 3.3 and 4.0.1 running on RedHat
      6.1 with no success. I have tried the various procedures that people
      have suggested for the Inspiron 5000
      (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/) but have not
      had any any success with the 5000e.

      Has anyone out there done this?
    • beyer@uni-bremen.de
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2000
        Hello Khaled,

        got XFree86 with UXGA (1600x1200) resolution to work
        on my I5000e this morning :-). Pretty cool, works with
        8, 16, and 24 bpp. You have to get the newest Rage 128
        driver from Kevin E. Martin (thanks) out of the XFree86
        CVS-tree. See docs at http://www.xfree86.org how to get
        + install it.

        I set the ProjectRoot to /usr/XF86-main during
        compilation of the X-Server, so I have the unusual
        ModulePath. If you have the (non-standart) 1400x1050
        display, you'll probably have to add modeline for it.

        Ralf

        My config: SuSE7.0, Kernel 2.2.16, XFree86 Version 4.0.1c

        /etc/X11/XF86Config (_no warranties_):

        #---- snip --------------

        Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        EndSection

        Section "Files"
        ModulePath "/usr/XF86-main/lib/modules"
        EndSection

        Section "Module"
        Load "pex5"
        Load "GLcore"
        Load "record"
        Load "glx"
        Load "extmod"
        Load "dbe"
        Load "xie"
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Keyboard0"
        Driver "keyboard"
        Option "XkbLayout" "de"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
        Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse0"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons"
        Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
        EndSection

        Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Monitor0"
        VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName "Monitor Model"
        VertRefresh 40-70
        HorizSync 28-90
        EndSection

        Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        #Option "ShadowFB"
        #Option "VGAClocks"
        Identifier "Card0"
        Driver "r128"
        VendorName "ATI"
        BoardName "Rage 128 Mobility LF"
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
        EndSection

        Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device "Card0"
        Monitor "Monitor0"
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        EndSubSection
        EndSection

        Section "DRI"
        EndSection

        #----- snap ---------

      • dr-erc@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2000
          beyer@... wrote:

          > Section "Device"
          > ### Available Driver options are:-
          > #Option "ShadowFB"
          > #Option "VGAClocks"
          > Identifier "Card0"
          > Driver "r128"
          > VendorName "ATI"
          > BoardName "Rage 128 Mobility LF"
          > BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
          > EndSection

          Hello Ralf,

          what's the meaning of the entry
          >>> BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

          Sorry for the question, I'm still working with 3.3.6.

          I have a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop. Inside of this device are 2 ATI Rage
          Mobility cards. I guess, one is for the TFT display and the other for
          the external video connector.

          Under the pre-installed Win98 I have the choice for 2 video definitions
          with different resolutions for the TFT display and the external video
          CRT display.

          How can I do the same with X windows 3.3.6. I'm using the un-patched ATI
          Mach64 server with kernel 2.2.14 and SuSE 6.4. Any hints?

          Dieter Rohlfing