Networing -- IPTABLES

  • skeeterpickle
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2002
      The saga continues -

      I went out and bought a cross over cable today and I know have a mini
      internal lan -- so here's my desktop's set up:

      ETH0 -- Connection to internet (DHCP)
      ETH1 -- Cross over cable to I8.1K (STATIC)

      My desktop is running kernel 2.4.17, with iptables 1.2.5

      I can't figure out how to get it set up so that I can access the
      internet from my laptop... I've tried dozones of other peoples
      masq-ing iptable scripts and nada... I'm not a networking person and I
      _certainly_ don't know my iptables -- can anyone help!!

      Thanks,
      Tim
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2002
        On Wednesday 30 January 2002 10:08 pm, you wrote:
        > ETH0 -- Connection to internet (DHCP)
        > ETH1 -- Cross over cable to I8.1K (STATIC)
        >
        > My desktop is running kernel 2.4.17, with iptables 1.2.5
        >
        > I can't figure out how to get it set up so that I can access the
        > internet from my laptop... I've tried dozones of other peoples
        > masq-ing iptable scripts and nada... I'm not a networking person and I
        > _certainly_ don't know my iptables -- can anyone help!!

        Attached is a copy of the script I use, mostly copied from a magazine
        article (referenced in script). I have eth0 going to Internet with DHCP
        and eth1 to internal with static IP, so it sounds like a match. Check
        the IP I have in the script to match yours (I have 192.168.0.0/16 to
        allow anyone internally starting with 192.168).

        Note that you have to change the other internal machines to have yours
        (eth1's IP) as a Default Gateway and need to be on the same IP subnet (in
        my case they all start with 192.168.). If its a Windows machine, check
        ipconfig in a command/dos window to see the IP and Default Gateway
        settings. If you can ping a site using its IP address but can't use a
        browser, then the Default Gateway is probably not set right (its needed
        for the DNS to be found and you to get URL resolution). (get some site's
        ip off the Internet using nslookup on a working machine, e.g nslookup
        www.redhat.com)

        Good luck,
        Bob
      • David Whitmarsh
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2002
          Have you turned ip forwarding on?

          cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward to find out

          0 means its off, 1 means its on.

          To turn it on

          echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

          David

          On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 03:08, skeeterpickle wrote:
          > The saga continues -
          >
          > I went out and bought a cross over cable today and I know have a mini
          > internal lan -- so here's my desktop's set up:
          >
          > ETH0 -- Connection to internet (DHCP)
          > ETH1 -- Cross over cable to I8.1K (STATIC)
          >
          > My desktop is running kernel 2.4.17, with iptables 1.2.5
          >
          > I can't figure out how to get it set up so that I can access the
          > internet from my laptop... I've tried dozones of other peoples
          > masq-ing iptable scripts and nada... I'm not a networking person and I
          > _certainly_ don't know my iptables -- can anyone help!!
          >

          > Thanks,
          > Tim

          David Whitmarsh
          Sparkle Computer Co Ltd
          Systems Development and Consultancy
          UNIX/LINUX/Windows, C/C++/perl/java Sybase

          web: www.sparkle-cc.co.uk
          mob: +44 (0)7802 537097

        • matt copping
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
            . I'm not a networking person and I<BR>
            _certainly_ don't know my iptables -- can anyone

            have you checked out the IP masquerading howto?
            http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

            have you setup your 'other' machine to be your
            laptop's default gateway?

            http://uk.my.yahoo.com