849Re: XFree86 4.0

  • Paul Crowther
    Aug 1, 2000
      thanks for this - filenames and details are correct, but gdm and xdm
      just startup GUI login screen. Beyond that it reverts to whatever
      is the default session manager. I've tracked down the control of the
      startup appls. and the all important session window manager to

      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc (or ~/.xinitrc)

      Replacing 'twm &' with 'gnome-wm &' now fires up the gnome
      window manager (this is the case for RH6.2 but may not be identical
      for other Linux variants), but i'm still missing the useful sliding
      bottom control panel thingy.

      Perhaps all this nonsense has something to do with XFree86 3.3.6
      -> 4.0 moving all that X11 stuff around? Whatever the reason,
      my next problem is that i still seem to be struggling with firing
      up a non default (e.g. 8 bit/pix) X display even though the
      XF86Config file is in much better shape. I'm using

      startx -- -bpp 8

      How can i check that this xinit actually happens ok (rather than
      reverting to the default e.g 24 bit)? I ask because 8bit applications
      are still misbehaving and the CTRL/ALT/F1 screen which nicely
      illustrates what is going on only displays the final part of the
      startup (is it logged anywhere or can it be saved to disk?)

      > yep; redhat6.2 includes startup scripts for different login/window
      > managers. i don't remember the exact details, but by looking at
      > some files you should be able to figure out how it works and how
      > to revert to your previous installation:
      > check out /etc/inittab for which screen manager is used. standard X
      > comes with xdm, redhat uses a script (/etc/X11/prefdm?) to startup
      > a specific manager depending on a config file
      > for gnome, you probably want to use gdm instead of xdm.
      > hope that helps,
      > roman
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic