7424Re: [linux-dell-laptops] RH 7.1 Installation Error

  • dar dem
    Nov 1, 2001
      I can't say I have any exprience with newer RedHat
      installations, but looking at you partitions, your
      swap drive should be at least twice the size of your
      installed memory, i.e 256 -> 512.

      It is obvious that anaconda is trying to mount the
      swap drive, but this fails. Perhaps you should get on
      to redhat and see if this has happened before..

      Hope this is some help,
      Darren.

      --- dennisbhay@... wrote: > Description of
      Problem:

      > I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 8100 Notebook
      > with pre-installed
      > winME. I also bought a Linux minibook magazine, it
      > was accompanied
      > with 4 CD Linux Installation CDs with RedHat Version
      > 7.1 And Mandrake
      > 8.0 .. Before trying to install it into my Laptop, i
      > tested the Linux
      > Installation CDs by intstalling it into an Old
      > Pentium 1 100Mgz 1GB
      > running Windows 98SE and things went smoothly ( i
      > was able choose
      > booting from either Linux or Win98) ..
      >

      > assuming things will work the same with Notebooks
      > ,
      >
      > Notebook Configuration :
      > Dell Inspiron 8100 1GHz
      > 256 KB Memory
      > 32MB DDR 4AP NIDIA GEFORCE Video Adapter
      > 20 GB Hard Disk
      > 3com Network Card And Modem Internal, Combo
      > DVD CDRW Optical Drive , Combo
      >
      > I started my installation proces by partitioning
      > the Disk using non-
      > destructive FIPS utility that comes with the CDs.
      > and subsequently
      > reformatted and divide the Second partiotioned disk
      > into pieces for
      > RedHat allocation Using DISK DRUID.. the ff
      > partitioned was the End
      > Result
      >
      > /dev/hda1 6000MB Windows FAT32
      > /dev/hda2 / 1800MB Linux Native
      > /dev/hda3 /usr 2000MB Linux Native
      > /dev/hda4 /home 2000MB Linux Native
      > /dev/hda7 400MB Linux Swap
      >
      > Linux root was mounted below the 1024 Cylinder as
      > advised and the
      > remains of 20GB was unallocated ..
      >
      > going through the installation process.. and
      > choosing the minimum
      > package installation , The FF error was encountered
      > during the
      > installation process within install Option = Laptop

      > Traceback (innermost last):
      > File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 520, in ?
      > intf.run(todo, test = test)
      > File
      > "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/text.py",
      > line 1126,
      > in run
      > rc = apply (step[1](), args)
      > File
      > "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/text.py",
      > line 551,
      > in __call__
      > if todo.doInstall ():
      > File
      > "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/todo.py",
      > line 1765,
      > in doInstall
      > self.fstab.turnOnSwap(self.instPath)
      > File
      > "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/fstab.py",
      > line 537,
      > in turnOnSwap
      > isys.swapon (file)
      >
      > File

      "/mnt/redhat/test/qa0408.4/i386/RedHat/instimage/usr/lib/anaconda
      > /isys.py", line 163, in swapon
      > return _isys.swapon (path)
      > SystemError: (22, 'Invalid argument')
      >
      > Local variables in innermost frame:
      > path: /tmp/swap/hda7

      > I tried installing it through options like
      > WORKSTATION, SERVER,
      > CUSTOM but the same end result happens.. the
      > Installation process is
      > aborted with the same error messages as above ...
      >

      > Am a newbie to Linux and i would appreciate if
      > someone can give me
      > hand on this ..
      >

      > Dennis

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Nokia Game is on again.
      Go to http://uk.yahoo.com/nokiagame/ and join the new
      all media adventure before November 3rd.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic