7034Re: Dell cancelling Linux on desktop and laptop systems.

  • jjarrar@optonline.net
    Oct 20, 2001
      I have a Dell Inspirion 8000 512 megs ram, Navidia Gforce 2 go 32
      megs ram, 44 gig hard drive, floppy replaced with 17 gigs hard
      drive. UXGA display. Came pre installed with W2K pro.

      I used partition magic to reduce W2K to 25Gigs. moved the partition
      up leaving the first 925 megs for a dos fat partition. Installd
      minimal W2K Advanced server on fat partition for recovery purpose.
      installe SuSe 7.2 pro as my main Linux system. In the process made
      sure that swap, temp and and additional partion were not used.
      Installed Red Hat 7.1 by selecting the partitions made by SuSe.
      recovered booted SuSe and updated Lilo.

      The SuSe Lilo now is able to boot windows , SuSe kernals, and Red Hat
      Kernals. I have both Gnome and KDE x servers working at 1600x1200 in
      16K color. I love the setup, but still have 2 problems :

      1) I am still having problem having either systems working with
      Synaptics touch pad mouse or identifing it as a PS/2 mouse. I have
      installed tpconfig 3.1.2 but still no help.

      2) I am still having problems with the power managment. IF I leave
      the system for very long the display losses all light and cant
      revcover it until I make a major change in the hardware and reboot a
      few times. This I still have not researched.

      Two notes to help new users. add vga=794 in your lilo global config
      or on the lilo boot line ie stop the boot and type:
      linux vga=794

      this greatly helps SaX2 and redhat figure out and fix your display
      problems. Also mmake sure you install all the x-servers especially in
      redhat since if you dont istall them all most probably the auto
      detect will not be able to figure out your hardware.

      Please email me any questions if I can help. I would appretiate any
      help on the mouse. I know I can use my external PS2 mouse , but that
      does not make it right. need to make this the perfect machine :)

      P.S> even that dell does not support Linux, lots of their tech
      support run it. Just find an excuse to call. I had to figure all this
      on my own, and with the help of the SuSe knowledge base on xwindows.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
      > I've got two Dell laptops:
      >
      > computer #1:
      > Inspiron 8000
      > Pentium III, 1.0 GHz with 15" UXGA display
      > ATI Rage Mobility M4 - 32 megs of RAM
      > 384 MB SDRAM, 1 256 and 1 128 DIMM
      > 32 GB IBM-DJSA TravelStar hard drive, 9.5mm
      > Win2000 pre-installed, Progeny Debian Linux 1.0 installed on my own
      > LG DVD-Rom drive
      > ActionTec 56K modem and Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 mini-PCI combo
      >
      > computer #2:
      > Inspiron 8000
      > Pentium III, 1.0 GHz with 15" UXGA display
      > ATI Rage Mobility M4 - 32 megs of RAM
      > 256 MB SDRAM, 2 128 meg DIMMs
      > 20 GB Hitachi hard drive, 9.5mm
      > WinMe pre-installed, Red Hat 7.1 installed on my own
      > LG DVD-Rom drive
      > 3Com 56K modem + 3c509 nic mini-PCI combo
      > Dell TrueMobile 1150 PCMCIA 802.11 wireless ethernet card
      >
      > Ignore what Dell says about the RAM - they can not invalidate your
      > warranty for installing your own RAM... and I wouldn't want to
      order a
      > pre-installed Linux system anyway. half the fun is installing it
      > yourself. :-)
      >
      > -steve
      >
      > On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 09:24:27PM -0000, avery@u... wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I see that several people on this list have recently purchased
      dell
      > > laptops with windows, and installed linux themselves. It would be
      > > very helpful to know the specifications of the laptops (model,
      > > processsor,memory, etc.) and if there were any problems with the
      > > installation.

      > > but they refuse to sell me a linux preinstalled laptop with a
      higher
      > > processor or more SDRAM, even though the windows versions for
      > > latitude c600 offer these options (Pentium III processor with 1
      GHz,
      > > and Memory SDRAM 512MB).
      > >
      > > I went so far as to ask if I could separately purchase 256MB
      SDRAM,
      > > manufactured by Dell and recommended for Dell Latitude C600,
      > > [DELL 256MB Module for a Dell Latitude C600 Series System / 144-
      pin
      > > SODIMM, SDRAM, PC100 / Manufacturer Part# D58JEV /Dell Part#
      802396-1]

      > > My sales rep wrote: "be advised that Dell probably won't offer
      > > technical support if you add that other 256MB." Huh? There are
      no
      > > warnings listed on the web page
      > > (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.asp?Sku=802396%
      2D1)

      > > Any comments or advice would be most welcome.
      > >
      > > Regarding Dell's business decision to stop offering linux on
      laptops,
      > > I must say that, even at the beginning of the summer when Dell
      > > offered linux laptops online, it was very difficult to find them.
      > > had to do a keyword search for linux, follow the suggested links,
      and
      > > click on exactly the right buttons to get the linux option. One
      wrong
      > > mouseclick, and I got bounced back to the windows only systems.
      It's
      > > difficult to sell a product if your customers can't find it!
      > >
      > > Avery
      > >
      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Chris Mauricio <cmauricio@s...>
      wrote:
      > > > This discussion is in full swing over at SlashDot.
      > > >
      > > > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/02/168248&mode=flat
      > > >
      > > > I tried to order a laptop with Linux preinstalled on it. It was
      > > > lower video RAM, smaller screen, less RAM and slower processor
      than
      > > > what they offered with WinMe /Win2k. Also, IIRC the prices were
      > > > ~same for the higher powered Winboxes. So I ordered the Winme
      I8K

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > --
      > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
      student
      > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic