5106Re: [linux-dell-laptops] computer overheats

  • Luis M. Cruz
    Jul 4, 2001
      El día Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:58:40PM +0200, Joost Kremers escribió:
      > hi all,
      >
      > located). more seriously: the fan never kicks in... this is strange, because
      > a) the fan is located in the exact same corner; b) the heat is so strong that
      > i can feel it through the keyboard.
      >
      > does anyone know which piece of hardware is generating this heat? (in other
      > words: which piece of hardware is located in this position?)

      I'll bet it's the microprocessor. On my i3700 it's more or less between
      F8-F11 and U-P keys, but the heat sink it's over backspace.

      Linux kernel usually halts the processor when it's idle, but if you are
      extensivelly using it, it cannot, so it gets hotter.

      > what could be the reason that the fan does not start? is this a malfunction,
      > or should i alter some settings?

      What BIOS version do you have? DELL rised temperature levels for the fan to
      work (so much that at 30 celcius degrees of ambient temperature and
      extremely using the CPU my fan didn't start) on versions A11 and A12 of the
      BIOS on the i3800 (A12 and A13 on i3700).

      I had to downgrade to A11 (you would do to A10; mine it's a i3700,
      remenber) if I wanted the fan to work. And even this way, it gets quite hot.

      Cheers!

      Luis María Cruz <lcruzva@...> http://moon.inf.uji.es/~failure
      PGP keyIDs: 0x6848D470 (DSS) / 0x255E9505 (RSA) failure en IRC-Hispano
      Asociación de usuarios de LiNUX de Málaga http://www.linux-malaga.org
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic