437[linux-dell-laptops] Re: No Subject

  • Marc Laforest
    Mar 4, 2000
      "loc ta" <loct-@...> wrote:
      > I'm a newbie and want to dual boot NT or Win2K Pro with my RH 6.1. I
      > initially installed NT 4.0 SP 5.0 and then I installed RH 6.1.
      > However, I can't get it to boot to a partition where I can choose
      > between the two? I have tried deleting both partitions and
      > reinstalling but to no avail. I'm frustrated and I know this should
      > easy and I apologize for that. But what should I do? How do I
      > partition my drives correctly?
      > Thanks.
      > Loc

      Are you aware that a standard installation with Linux will
      install LILO onto the Master Boot record but that windows NT
      does not like any files (other than it's own) to be placed
      onto the MBR? Windows NT will get rid of LILO if it
      discovers it. This means that you have to make sure that
      you are trying to boot Linux from Loadlin or from a
      disk. Windows 95/95 do not have this trouble.

      Visit the following for more information:

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic