4046RE: [linux-dell-laptops] external input/output

  • David Rodriguez
    May 7 12:34 PM
      Another option is that if you have both working with gpm, you
      can use gpm to `repeat' or simulate the mouse movements to a
      pipe and use that pipe as the device for X. Check the man
      page for gpm. I use an external PS/2 mouse and the BIOS takes
      care of most of these things, but I still use gpm as the psaux
      device cannot be opened twice (even for reading) that is if
      gpm is using ps/2 port, then X will not be able to use it.
      (Unless they have changed the driver recently).

      David

> [...]
      >use the console, I just disabled GPM so now all my pointing devices and
      >buttons work concurrently at the same time.
      >
      >-stephen
      >
      >On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 09:31:44AM -0400, Brian M Dial wrote:
      >> Stephen,
      >>
      >> Do you have both working at the same time? I did this when I first got
      >> the laptop but managed to only get the USB mouse to work, not the
      >> touchpad at the same time. however, they both work with GPM. Are you
      >> running GPM concurrently with X? Here's my config
      >>
      >> Section "InputDevice"
      >> Identifier "Mouse1"
      >> Driver "mouse"
      >> Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
      >> Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
      >> Option "Emulate3Buttons"
      >> EndSection
      >>
      >> Section "InputDevice"
      >> Identifier "USBMouse"
      >> Driver "mouse"
      >> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
      >> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
      >> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      >> Option "Buttons" "5"
      >> EndSection
      >>
      >> Section "ServerLayout"
      >> Screen "Screen 1"
      >> InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
      >> InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
      >> InputDevice "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
      >> EndSection
      >>
      >> -Brian
      >>

      >> Stephen Lau wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Hi Brian,
      >> > No problem... glad it works out for you. For the USB mouse -
      >> > you can actually define two mice, like so:
      >> >
      >> > Section "ServerLayout"
      >> > Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
      >> > Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
      >> > InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
      >> > InputDevice "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
      >> > InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
      >> > EndSection
      >> >
      >> > Mouse0 being the touchpad/pointing stick. Then define the USB mouse to
      >> > SendCoreEvents. If the USB mouse is plugged in, then X will
      >> > automatically forward and use it as a proper mouse input device. If
      >> > it's not detected, then it will just use the touchpad/pointer stick.
      >> >
      >> > Section "InputDevice"
      >> > Identifier "Mouse0"
      >> > # Modified by mouseconfig
      >> > Driver "mouse"
      >> > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
      >> > Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
      >> > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
      >> > EndSection
      >> >
      >> > Section "InputDevice"
      >> > Identifier "USBMouse"
      >> > Driver "mouse"
      >> > Option "Device" "/dev/pointer"
      >> > Option "Name" "AutoDetected"
      >> > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
      >> > Option "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
      >> > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      >> > EndSection
      >> >
      >> > Those are my driver sections to give you some info. I'm using a
      >> > Logitech Cordless Mouseman Plus at home, and I bring a Microsoft Optical
      >> > Intellimouse with me on the road - both of them work with the above
      >> > info. No changes needed whatsoever! X is rather intelligent about it.

      /etc/X11/XF86Config.LCD`
      /etc/X11/XF86Config.EXT`

      Keyboard Pro

      open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      one's mouth and remove all doubt."

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      one's mouth and remove all doubt."

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      >> > --
      >> > stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
      student
      >> > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's
      mouth and remove all doubt."

      >> --
      >> Brian M Dial
      >> UNIX Systems Administrator
      >> Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP
      >> Ring Ring: 410.728.2900 x1329
      >> Beep Beep: 410.579.9754
      >> http://www.rkkengineers.com

      >--
      >stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad student
      >"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth
      and remove all doubt."

      David Rodríguez Ibeas <dibeas@...> Undergraduate Living Form
      University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
      Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
      Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain