4040Re: external input/output

  • dan@kulp.com
    May 7, 2001
      Brian,

      I have the 15" SXGA+ screen which is why the modeline lists the
      1400x1050 resolution.

      I also remembered something else: I think I might not be using
      XFree86 4.0.3 as downloadable. I think I recompiled the r128.o module
      because the more recent code has better support for the LCD/CRT
      combination. Not positive though.

      Enjoy!
      Dan

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Brian M Dial <bdial@r...> wrote:
      > Dan,
      >
      > Thanks for the info. What configuration are you using these values on?
      > I have an i8k with the UXGA display, and have slightly different values
      > than you. If you have the same configuration I may give them a shot and
      > see if it's any better.
      >
      > -Brian
      >
      > dan@k... wrote:
      > >
      > > Brian,
      > >
      > > Mouse: no idea about this. For me, I have an external PS/2 keyboard
      > > and USB mouse so I haven't run into any problems. Actually, I do have
      > > a PS/2 mouse, but that's used with the docking station/port replicator
      > > which has both a mouse port and a keyboard port so no splitter is
      needed.

      > > Monitor: with XFree86 4.0.3, you should be able to define the external
      > > frequency you want. For example, I use:
      > >
      > > Section "Monitor"
      > > Identifier "Monitor0"
      > > VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
      > > ModelName "Monitor Model"
      > > # Option "DPMS"
      > > HorizSync 30-150
      > > VertRefresh 50-250
      > > Modeline "1400x1050" 159.0 1400 1464 1784 1912 1050 1052 1064
      > > 1098 -HSync -VSync
      > > EndSection
      > >
      > > This is 76Kz. You also need the device option:
      > > Option "UseBIOSDisplay"
      > >
      > > What this does for me is if the monitor is attached, it will boot on
      > > it with a refresh of 76Hz. If no external monitor is attached, it
      > > uses the LCD. If I want symultanious mode, I boot with the monitor
      > > and hit Fn-F8 to cycle, but this results in the monitor at 60Hz. This
      > > is fine by me as a rarely use symul mode. When I'm at my desk, I want
      > > the monitor only.
      > >
      > > I can post my entire config if needed.
      > >
      > > Enjoy!
      > > Dan Kulp
      > > dan@k...
      > >
      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Brian M Dial <bdial@r...> wrote:
      > > > I recently got a Inspiron 8000 laptop. After a bout with the pcmcia
      > > > (which made me discover this list) everything is working peachy.
      Being

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > --
      > Brian M Dial