3998Re: external input/output

  • dan@kulp.com
    May 4 6:52 AM
      Brian,

      Mouse: no idea about this. For me, I have an external PS/2 keyboard
      and USB mouse so I haven't run into any problems. Actually, I do have
      a PS/2 mouse, but that's used with the docking station/port replicator
      which has both a mouse port and a keyboard port so no splitter is needed.

      Monitor: with XFree86 4.0.3, you should be able to define the external
      frequency you want. For example, I use:

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Monitor0"
      VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
      ModelName "Monitor Model"
      # Option "DPMS"
      HorizSync 30-150
      VertRefresh 50-250
      Modeline "1400x1050" 159.0 1400 1464 1784 1912 1050 1052 1064
      1098 -HSync -VSync
      EndSection

      This is 76Kz. You also need the device option:
      Option "UseBIOSDisplay"

      What this does for me is if the monitor is attached, it will boot on
      it with a refresh of 76Hz. If no external monitor is attached, it
      uses the LCD. If I want symultanious mode, I boot with the monitor
      and hit Fn-F8 to cycle, but this results in the monitor at 60Hz. This
      is fine by me as a rarely use symul mode. When I'm at my desk, I want
      the monitor only.

      I can post my entire config if needed.

      Enjoy!
      Dan Kulp
      dan@...

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Brian M Dial <bdial@r...> wrote:
      > I recently got a Inspiron 8000 laptop. After a bout with the pcmcia
      > (which made me discover this list) everything is working peachy. Being
      > that I'm using this as my primary workstation at work, I felt the need
      > to attach a few devices to it to make working easier. I've run into a
      > few issues though I was wondering if others had experienced.
      >
      > 1. keyboard/mouse
      >
      > I *hate* the touchpad, and the little keyboard stick. The first thing I
      > tried was using one of what my coworkers said was a splitter for these
      > laptops that would allow me to use both an external ps2 keyboard and
      > mouse in the one ps2 port on the inspirons. I plugged it in, and had
      > very jerky and scrambled problems using the keyboard and mouse. It
      > wasn't too much of a problem, since I could hook a USB mouse up and just
      > use the ps2 for keyboard. I'm curious if this is an issue with linux or
      > perhaps my coworker lied to me about the usefulness of this splitter.
      >
      > 2. Monitor
      >
      > I've hooked up a viewsonic PS790 to my laptop, and it works fine.
      > However, I know that the refresh rates I have for the laptop, which came
      > from a user-submitted XF86Config posted here and other places, are not
      > right for the monitor. The image is still useable, but I've noticed
      > that my eyes seem to be a bit more taxed. Is there any solution to this
      > problem other than maintaining 2 XF86Config files based on whether I'm
      > using an external monitor or not?
      >
      > I appreciate any input.
      >
      > -Brian
      >
      > --