3986Re: [linux-dell-laptops] external input/output

  • Brian M Dial
    May 3, 2001
      Neat-o.

      I actually started down the road of trying to get some automatic stuff
      going to detect wether or not i had my usb mouse plugged in to use that
      or not but eventually I realized that I can't detect whether or not a
      monitor is attached so i went back to a manual startx <option> idea
      you'd suggested. Thanks for all the code!

      -Brian

      Stephen Lau wrote:

      > Brian,
      > I looked up some more info on this - apparently there is an
      > "-xf86config <filename>" parameter you can pass to the X server. You
      > can pass this on by doing "startx -- -xf86config
      > /etc/X11/XF86Config.other" or something like that. Here is a revised
      > script for you that should work:
      >
      > #!/usr/bin/perl
      > $x = $ARGV[0]
      > if ($x eq '') {
      > `/usr/bin/X11/startx.real -- -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config.LCD`
      > }
      > else {
      > `/usr/bin/X11/startx.real -- -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config.EXT`
      > }
      >
      > so rename the original /usr/bin/X11/startx as /usr/bin/X11/startx.real
      > and save the above perl script as /usr/bin/X11/startx
      >
      > That *should* do the trick for you - I haven't tested it myself yet, but
      > it looks correct. :) That way, if you just type 'startx' it will
      > default to your LCD monitor for you. And if you pass anything like
      > 'startx external' (though, really it just checks for any sort of
      > parameter, you could do 'startx
      > dontusetheexternalmonitor-usetheinternalLCDyoudumbass' and it will still
      > do the external monitor. :)
      >
      > Hope that works out for you...it looks clean, and I think I may actually
      > use it myself now. :)
      >
      > cheers,
      > steve
      >
      > On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 01:36:43PM -0700, Stephen Lau wrote:
      > > Hi Brian,
      > > I don't have it on me right now...but I just thought of an even
      > > better idea...
      > >
      > > #!/usr/bin/perl
      > > $x = $ARGV[0]
      > > if ($x eq '') {
      > > # no argument passed, assume using built-in LCD
      > > # either copy of XF86Config (need o+w permissions then)
      > > # or tell startx to use different XF86Config
      > >
      > > `cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-lcd /etc/X11/XF86Config
      > > }
      > > else {
      > > # argument passed, assume using external monitor
      > >
      > > `cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-monitor /etc/X11/XF86Config
      > > }
      > >
      > > just remember to set the o+w permissions so users can overwrite the
      > > XF86Config. a safer way would be to tell startx to use a different
      > > XF86Config...but I'm not entirely sure how to do that off the top of my
      > > head.
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > steve
      > > On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:52:24PM -0400, Brian M Dial wrote:
      > > > That's what I figured, care to share your script? :)
      > > >
      > > > -Brian

      > > > --
      > > > Brian M Dial
      > > > UNIX Systems Administrator

> [...]