3978Re: [linux-dell-laptops] external input/output

  • Stephen Lau
    May 3, 2001
      Hi Brian,
      I think that is most likely a problem with the splitter... I've
      had similar problems trying to use splitters on other laptops, including
      my I8K. My current solution is using a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
      which is a USB keyboard, and has two additional USB ports. I then have
      a Logitech Cordless Mouseman plugged into one of those USB ports. Thus,
      all I have to do is plug one USB port into my I8K - and I have an
      external keyboard and mouse.

      For the X problem - there really isn't a good way around that, I
      don't think. What I did was rename "startx" to "startx-real" and make
      my own "startx" script that just prompted:

      "Using an external monitor? "

      if I answered 'y', then it would copy over the XF86Config for the
      external monitor, otherwise it copied over the one for the laptop. Not
      the most convenient, but it works and gets the job done. :)

      On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:44:26PM -0400, Brian M Dial wrote:
      > I recently got a Inspiron 8000 laptop. After a bout with the pcmcia
      > (which made me discover this list) everything is working peachy. Being
      > that I'm using this as my primary workstation at work, I felt the need
      > to attach a few devices to it to make working easier. I've run into a
      > few issues though I was wondering if others had experienced.
      > 1. keyboard/mouse
      > I *hate* the touchpad, and the little keyboard stick. The first thing I
      > tried was using one of what my coworkers said was a splitter for these
      > laptops that would allow me to use both an external ps2 keyboard and
      > mouse in the one ps2 port on the inspirons. I plugged it in, and had
      > very jerky and scrambled problems using the keyboard and mouse. It
      > wasn't too much of a problem, since I could hook a USB mouse up and just
      > use the ps2 for keyboard. I'm curious if this is an issue with linux or
      > perhaps my coworker lied to me about the usefulness of this splitter.
      > 2. Monitor
      > I've hooked up a viewsonic PS790 to my laptop, and it works fine.
      > However, I know that the refresh rates I have for the laptop, which came
      > from a user-submitted XF86Config posted here and other places, are not
      > right for the monitor. The image is still useable, but I've noticed
      > that my eyes seem to be a bit more taxed. Is there any solution to this
      > problem other than maintaining 2 XF86Config files based on whether I'm
      > using an external monitor or not?
      > I appreciate any input.
      > -Brian
      > --
      > Brian M Dial
      > UNIX Systems Administrator
      > Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP
      > Ring Ring: 410.728.2900 x1329
      > Beep Beep: 410.579.9754
      > http://www.rkkengineers.com

      "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic